UK News in Pictures

Home Breaking Block of Flats Evacuated in Orpington After Chemical Assault

Block of Flats Evacuated in Orpington After Chemical Assault

A block of flats in Orpington was evacuated today following a chemical assault on a woman, leading to a significant emergency response by the Metropolitan Police and London Fire Brigade.

The incident unfolded at Riverside Court around 9.55am on January 23. A woman was discovered at the scene with head injuries and reported that a glue-like substance had been maliciously placed on her door.

As a precautionary measure, a thorough search of the building was conducted by the London Fire Brigade, resulting in the evacuation of four flats. Fortunately, the fire brigade confirmed that the substance was not hazardous.

A man was apprehended at the scene by the police on suspicion of assault and criminal damage. He remains in custody as authorities continue their investigations into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The incident was resolved by fire crews shortly before 11.45am. During the incident, Riverside Court was partially cordoned off by police officers as the situation was managed.

Firefighters from Sidcup, Bexley, and Bethnal Green Fire Stations were among those who responded to the scene, working diligently to ensure the safety of residents and assess the situation.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police stated, “Police were called at approximately,9,55am on Tuesday, January 23, by a woman who reported she had been assaulted and a glue-like substance put on her door in High Street, Orpington. Officers and London Ambulance Service attended, and the woman was assessed at the scene for a head injury.

The spokesperson added, “Enquiries into the circumstances continue.”

Additionally, a spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade explained, “Firefighters were called to a report of a chemical incident on High Street, Orpington. Crews carried out a sweep of the building, and four flats were evacuated as a precaution whilst firefighters conducted their work. The Brigade was first called at 09:51 AM, and the incident was over for crews at 11:44am.”

Local residents and authorities are cooperating to ensure the safety and well-being of all affected by this incident.

social media2

Never miss another Breaking story again


You can sign up to get the latest news, top stories and exclusives sent straight to your WhatsApp from the UKNIP team.


To get stories sent to you, you need to already have WhatsApp. All you need to do is click this link and select ‘join community’

No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the UKNIP team. you can read your privacy policy notice.

Click here to join our WhatsApp community.

Follow UKNIP 

Similar Article To this

UK News in Pictures delivers instant news and picture coverage as the story unfold. Stay current with breaking stories thanks to this round-the-clock news service. Operating 24/7, it provides up-to-the-minute reporting on breaking news, community updates, and more, ensuring you’re always informed, wherever you are, every day of the week.

Edtior's Picks

© 2024 All Rights Reserved. Designed and Developed by UKNIP

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.