The 12-year-old victim is thought to have attended school in Lewisham. He is thought to have died from blood poisoning caused by invasive strep A. The 12-year-old is the seventh invasive strep strain discovered. In recent weeks, there has been a death in the United Kingdom. Another student from the same private school is currently undergoing treatment in the hospital. A primary-school-aged boy died in Ealing, and another Ealing child from a different school is in hospital. Group A streptococcal (iGAS) infection, caused by bacteria called group A streptococci, killed all six children. The Lewisham boy, a rugby player, is thought to have attended Colfe’s School. Head teacher Richard Russell described the 12-year-old student’s death as a “huge shock.” “We have taken advice from the UK Health Security Agency,” he said (UKHSA). Blood tests revealed that the student had blood poisoning (septicaemia) caused by Group A streptococcus (GAS), which resulted in invasive GAS disease (iGAS). “The GAS bacterium is extremely common and typically causes mild illness such as scarlet fever, which is treatable with antibiotics.” However, it can be complicated by other infections and enter the bloodstream, becoming invasive and causing blood poisoning in very rare cases.” Other respiratory and skin infections caused by these bacteria include strep throat and impetigo. In rare cases, the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and cause an illness known as invasive Group A strep (iGAS). While still uncommon, invasive Group A strep cases have increased this year, particularly in children under the age of ten. Scarlet fever cases continue to be higher than usual at this time of year, according to the latest data from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), with 851 cases reported in week 46 of the year, compared to an average of 186 in previous years. Yesterday (Saturday, December 2), a four-year-old boy from High Wycombe became the sixth child to die from strep throat. His distraught parents named an infection Muhammad Ibrahim Ali. Hanna Roap, 7, of Wales, was another victim of the infection who died within 24 hours of becoming ill. Another child from a nearby Ealing school, North Ealing Primary School, was confirmed to be infected and was admitted to the hospital. The Ealing outbreak was confirmed just days after a six-year-old student died from strep A in Surrey. After contracting scarlet fever, the Year One student attended Ashford Church of England Primary School and developed strep A. Although it is caused by the same bacteria as scarlet fever, tonsillitis, and strep throat, Invasive strep A is a more severe infection. If caught early enough, these infections are easily treated with antibiotics; however, if the bacteria enters the bloodstream, it releases toxins, which can result in shock, sepsis, or pneumonia in severe cases. The government is warning parents across the UK to keep an eye out for Scarlet fever symptoms in their children, which include a sore throat, headache, and fever, as well as a fine, pinkish or red body rash with a sandpapery feel. The rash may be more difficult to detect visually on darker skin, but it will have a sandpapery feel. If you suspect your child has scarlet fever, call NHS 111 or your doctor right away. Early treatment with antibiotics reduces the risk of complications like pneumonia or a bloodstream infection.