UK News in Pictures

Home LONDON Firefighters have issued a candle safety reminder after a fire at a flat on Lakeside Drive in Park Royal

Firefighters have issued a candle safety reminder after a fire at a flat on Lakeside Drive in Park Royal

Part of a flat on the third floor of an eight-storey block was damaged by the fire. A woman left the flat before the Brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was accidental and was caused by an unattended candle which had been placed on a wicker basket. The candle caught light to a nearby blind and also caused an aerosol contained in the basket to explode.

Station Officer Tony Aston-O’Donovan, who was at the scene, said: “Crews made a good initial attack and worked hard to quickly bring the blaze under control so it was contained to the living room area of the flat.

“The occupant was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm so left the property, closed the door and called 999 which is the right thing to do.

“Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes. They should never be left unattended and they should always be kept away from anything which can easily catch fire.

“You should always make sure they are in a suitable fire resistant candle-holder which won’t be knocked over. Make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”

The Brigade was called at 1936 and the fire was under control by 2033. Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters from Wembley, Acton, Ealing, Chiswick, Northolt and Park Royal fire stations were at the scene.

Firefighters’ candle safety top tips

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that’s things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair. 
  • Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers. 
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
  • To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.
  • LED candles can be a great alternative – they’re safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out

social media2

Never miss another Breaking story again

 

You can sign up to get the latest news, top stories and exclusives sent straight to your WhatsApp from the UKNIP team.

WhatsApp
Instagram
Snapchat

To get stories sent to you, you need to already have WhatsApp. All you need to do is click this link and select ‘join community’

No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the UKNIP team. you can read your privacy policy notice.

Click here to join our WhatsApp community.

Follow UKNIP 

UK News in Pictures delivers instant news and picture coverage as the story unfold. Stay current with breaking stories thanks to this round-the-clock news service. Operating 24/7, it provides up-to-the-minute reporting on breaking news, community updates, and more, ensuring you’re always informed, wherever you are, every day of the week.

© 2024 All Rights Reserved. Designed and Developed by UKNIP

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.