Richard Chapman Senior and Richard Chapman Junior were involved in an altercation with a man...

Published: 1:43 pm January 5, 2023
Updated: 9:44 am October 8, 2025
A Father And Son Who Carried Out A Grievous Assault On A Woman In Crawley Have Now Been Jailed

Richard Chapman Senior and Richard Chapman Junior were involved in an altercation with a man at a petrol station in Balcombe Road in the town and then pursued a vehicle back to an address in the Three Bridges area. There, accompanied by a third unidentified man, they assaulted a woman outside her property with weapons including an axe. Chapman Senior was arrested within days, and was convicted in June 2022, but Chapman Junior was at large until he was arrested by officers from the Specialist Enforcement Unit. Both men were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in public, and have now both been jailed. DC Jenny Balmont, from Crawley CID, said the incident happened at about 10.30am on July 2, 2021. She said: “This was a highly distressing incident carried out by a group of three hooded men carrying weapons. “The victim was left with injuries and in fear of her life. “So we are pleased that the main two men responsible, Richard Chapman Senior and Richard Chapman Junior, have both been brought to justice. “It demonstrates our determination and teamwork to catch dangerous offenders and take them off the streets to prevent them causing further harm.” Chapman Senior, 58, unemployed, of Carey’s Wood, Smallfield, Surrey, was arrested on July 5, 2021, and was then remanded in custody. He admitted the charges, and was imprisoned for eight years after appearing at Lewes Crown Court on June 29, 2022. The court also imposed an extended sentence, which means Chapman Senior will also have to serve an additional four years on licence after his release from prison. He must serve at least two thirds of his sentence before he can be considered for release on parole. Chapman Junior, 31, unemployed, also of Carey’s Wood, was at large until the SEU made the arrest on August 23 last year. He also admitted the charges, and was imprisoned for four and a half years when he appeared before Lewes Crown Court on December 12, 2022. The courts imposed restraining orders on both men not to contact the victim or another member of her family for ten years.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE