A secondary school in Dover was suddenly closed today (6 May 2025) after receiving a...

Published: 1:24 pm May 6, 2025
Updated: 1:30 pm June 18, 2025
Dover School Shutdown After ‘Non-Credible’ Email Threat: Police Issue Update

A secondary school in Dover was suddenly closed today (6 May 2025) after receiving a threatening email, sparking widespread alarm among parents and students.

Parents were urgently advised to keep their children away from Astor Secondary School, located on Astor Avenue, after the school reported an “urgent incident” early this morning.

Threat Deemed “Non-Credible” by Police

Kent Police confirmed that they received a report at 7:37am that the school had been sent a threatening email. Officers swiftly attended the scene to reassure staff and advise on safety measures.

In a statement, a police spokesperson said:

The email is being treated as a non-credible threat and enquiries into the correspondence are ongoing.”

Despite police reassurance, the school initiated an immediate evacuation shortly before 8am to allow for a thorough precautionary search of the premises.

School Issues Urgent Message to Parents

In communications sent out to families, Astor Secondary School said:

Due to the site needing to be thoroughly checked, we have been advised for the site to be cleared of staff and students immediately, with further updates to follow.

Students who had already arrived at school were sent home, with the school promising to directly contact parents if difficulties arose.

Previous Incidents Across the UK

Today’s scare comes amid a growing trend of hoax threats targeting schools across the country:

  • In March 2025, Cardinal Hume Catholic School in Gateshead was locked down after receiving threatening emails later deemed a hoax.

  • In a separate, serious case earlier this May, a schoolboy wielding a large kitchen knife injured two people on school grounds in Luton before being detained by police.

Investigation Ongoing

Kent Police have launched a full investigation into the source of the email sent to Astor Secondary School. They stress there is no ongoing threat to pupils or staff.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Kent Police via 101 quoting today’s date.

Stay with us for further updates as this story develops.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE