The householders were woken by two intruders shining torches and armed with wooden mallets. The...

Published: 4:11 pm July 17, 2023
Updated: 8:07 am October 8, 2025
A terrified elderly couple were tied up and threatened while burglars ransacked their home – UKNIP

The householders were woken by two intruders shining torches and armed with wooden mallets.

The 78-year-old man and 75-year-old woman were taken out of bed and had their hands bound with zip ties during the frightening ordeal which lasted about two hours.

The man was threatened with a mallet and demands were made for him to open a safe.

Further threats were made towards him after another safe was emptied by one of the intruders. They went on to search each room in the house before returning with bags full of property.

The 78-year-old was hit with a mallet, striking his head and leg, and was strangled as the frightening ordeal continued.

The couple were tied up and locked in a bedroom during the incident which happened at an address in Spring Hill, Kimberley, during the early hours of 16 October 2020.

The man listened out for a vehicle to leave before he managed to slip out of his zip ties, free his wife and alert the police

The offenders, who wore face coverings, had ripped the landline phone cable from the wall and broken the victims’ mobile phones to prevent them from calling for help.

They fled the scene in the victims’ car having stolen £24,762 worth of jewellery, including many sentimental items.

Both victims were checked over by paramedics but didn’t need hospital treatment.

Following extensive lines of inquiry, police arrested and charged two suspects in connection with the incident.

Simon Hinton, aged 54, of HMP Ranby, and Dale Wright, aged 42, a current serving prisoner, formerly of Eastwood, appeared at Nottingham Crown Court for sentencing on Monday (17 July 2023) having previously been found guilty following a trial of aggravated burglary and taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent.

Just eight days before the incident, on 8 October 2020, Hinton was involved in another aggravated burglary at an address in Holly Road, Watnall. On that occasion, he was armed with a sword.

Three occupants were threatened and suffered non-life-threatening injuries during the night-time raid.

The victims bravely fought back which caused the offenders to leave. A bank card was stolen during the burglary.

Hinton was sentenced to 18 years in prison, plus five years on extended licence, making a total of 23 years, after being convicted of two counts of aggravated burglary. He was also given a one-month sentence, to be served concurrently, for taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent.

Wright was given an eight-year sentence, after being convicted of one count of aggravated burglary. He was also given a one-month sentence, to be served concurrently, for taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent.

The court heard Wright’s eight years would be on top of a current sentence of seven years and two months he is already serving after he was convicted and then sentenced, in March this year, for being involved in a conspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

Judge James Sampson said: “These were terrifying offences for these victims who may never feel safe in their homes again. Both aggravated burglaries involved some degree of planning and targeted elderly and vulnerable victims.

“Violence was used, serious violence was threatened, and significant physical and psychological harm was caused.”

Judge Sampson added ‘no remorse’ was shown by Hinton or Wright for their actions.

Detective Constable Andrew Sibley, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Clearly these were very frightening incidents for all the victims concerned.

Burglary is an incredibly upsetting crime and can be terrifying for victims, especially if it is also accompanied by violence.

“I am really pleased with this result, and I’d like to thank the officers who dedicated so much time to ensure Hinton and Wright were brought to justice for their despicable crimes.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE