British boxing legend Frank Bruno has been rushed to hospital after falling seriously ill...

Published: 11:43 pm March 20, 2025
Updated: 1:00 pm October 8, 2025
BREAKING: Frank Bruno Rushed to Hospital After Mid-Air Medical Emergency on Flight to Thailand

 

British boxing legend Frank Bruno has been rushed to hospital after falling seriously ill during a long-haul flight, prompting an emergency diversion and nearly two weeks of medical treatment abroad.

The 63-year-old former world heavyweight champion became unwell aboard a Qatar Airways flight from London Heathrow to Doha on March 3, en route to Thailand for a scheduled speaking tour. Passengers and flight crew were left alarmed after Bruno began sweating profusely and displaying fever-like symptoms mid-flight.

According to reports, Bruno was treated by medics upon arrival in Doha and was then transferred to Al Wakra Hospital, where doctors initially feared a more serious condition, including meningitis. After urgent tests, he was diagnosed with a viral infection.

A source close to the former boxer said:

“Frank was fine when he boarded the plane but quickly went downhill during the flight. He was in a really bad way.”

Bruno had been scheduled to appear at four events across Thailand, including in Pattaya, Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Koh Phangan. However, all engagements were cancelled due to the health emergency. His passport was reportedly held by hospital officials to ensure he remained under observation until fully recovered.

“By the end of his time in Qatar, Frank was getting frustrated as he was bored and wanted to leave,” the source added. “In typical Frank fashion, he was more worried about supposedly letting his fans down.”

Bruno’s PA Paul Hunter had accompanied him on the trip and remained by his side throughout his recovery.

Hospitalised for Nearly Two Weeks

Bruno was discharged after nearly two weeks in hospital, and has since returned to the UK, where he continues to recover. His team confirmed that a scheduled appearance at Manchester’s Hotel Football this Sunday has been cancelled, but he is hoping to resume public appearances in May and June, including an “Evening With” event at Birmingham City FC.

Statement from Management

Bruno’s manager, Dave Davies, said:

“Frank was flying out to work in Thailand when he was taken ill on the plane at Doha. Medical crew attended Frank on the plane and at hospital. He’s now recovering and hopes to be back at work as soon as possible.”

Sources close to the boxer have clarified that the incident was not linked to mental health concerns, a subject Bruno has spoken about openly in recent years.

A Celebrated Career and Continued Impact

Frank Bruno, who retired from boxing in 1996 after a high-profile bout with Mike Tyson, is best known for his 1995 WBC world title win over Oliver McCall at Wembley. Outside the ring, he has become a powerful advocate for mental health awareness, drawing from his own personal experiences.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of his world title victory, and fans across the country are sending their well-wishes to the sporting icon.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE