Metropolitan Police firearms officer Martyn Blake, recently acquitted of murder in the shooting of...

Published: 3:58 pm October 22, 2024
Updated: 12:10 pm October 8, 2025
£10,000 Bounty on Officer Martyn Blake’s Head After Chris Kaba Shooting: Media and Gang Threats Under Scrutiny

 

Metropolitan Police firearms officer Martyn Blake, recently acquitted of murder in the shooting of Chris Kaba, is now living under armed protection due to threats from gang members. The 40-year-old officer, who shot Kaba during a police stop in Streatham on September 5, 2022, has been forced into hiding after a £10,000 bounty was allegedly placed on his life.

A Life in Fear

Following the high-profile trial and his acquittal, Blake has faced ongoing threats from associates of Kaba’s gang. The gang is reportedly offering money in exchange for information about Blake’s whereabouts, leaving the officer and his family in constant fear for their lives. Blake’s lawyer, Patrick Gibbs KC, criticised the decision to reveal his client’s name to the public, arguing that it has put his life in serious danger.

Superintendent Ross McKibbin, head of Counterterrorism in the Metropolitan Police, expressed his alarm, stating: “In nearly 30 years of service, I have never been more concerned about the welfare of an officer or the likelihood of them or their family coming to serious harm as I am about Martyn Blake in this case.”

Despite being cleared of all charges, Blake’s situation remains perilous. He is currently under constant surveillance and protection from close protection officers, a measure that could continue indefinitely.

Media Scrutiny and Kaba’s Criminal Past

A major point of contention in the case is the media’s role in revealing Blake’s identity. Many within the police force have questioned why certain sections of the media pushed to disclose Blake’s name before the trial, knowing the potential danger it could cause. The revelation led to widespread concern among firearms officers, many of whom handed in their permits, fearing a lack of protection.

Recently, the judge overseeing Blake’s case lifted restrictions on reporting Kaba’s criminal history. Evidence that had been withheld during the trial showed that Kaba, a known member of the Brixton Hill-based ‘67’ gang, had an extensive criminal record, including multiple shootings and violent offences. This information had not been disclosed to the jury, who were only told that Kaba was an expectant father.

The ANPR system flagged the Audi Q8 Kaba was driving the night of the incident after reports of gunshots in Brixton the previous evening. Forensic evidence revealed gunshot residue on Kaba’s sleeve and a balaclava in his car. Just six days before the fatal shooting, Kaba had been involved in another gang-related incident in which he shot a rival in the leg at a nightclub.

Gang Threats and Calls for Change

Blake’s legal team and police officials have highlighted the severe risks that come with naming firearms officers involved in high-profile incidents. Intelligence reports indicate that members of Kaba’s gang are actively seeking revenge, offering a substantial sum for personal information about Blake, including his address and vehicle details.

Superintendent McKibbin emphasized the high risk posed by Blake’s identification, while Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stuart Cundy warned that withholding the full truth about Kaba’s criminal history could lead to unrest in London. Cundy noted that trust between police and the black community in Lambeth, where Kaba’s gang operated, remains fragile.

Calls to Reconsider Blake’s Prosecution

The case has led to questions within the police force about whether Blake should have been prosecuted at all. An anonymous firearms officer who was present during the incident said that Blake had acted according to his training and had done nothing wrong. “Martyn is the most professional, assiduous, diligent police officer you will come across and he should never have been put in this position,” the officer stated.

Some in the force are now calling for a change in how such cases are handled, suggesting a specialized court system, similar to a court-martial, that could better evaluate high-pressure situations involving armed police officers.

A Dark Future for Officer Blake

Despite his acquittal, Martyn Blake’s life remains under constant threat, as gang members seek revenge for Chris Kaba’s death. His life, career, and sense of security have been irrevocably altered, with no indication of when or if he will be able to resume a normal life.

The case raises significant questions about the future of policing in Britain. Firearms officers must make life-or-death decisions in mere seconds, yet the repercussions can last a lifetime. The backlash and threats faced by Blake illustrate the complexities and dangers associated with police work, particularly in cases involving gang violence.

As protests continue, and with Blake’s situation hanging in the balance, there is growing debate over whether the media’s push for transparency has placed the safety of police officers at risk. Many ask whether the current system is sustainable for those tasked with protecting the public in high-stakes situations.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE