A Wiltshire man who stole tens of thousands of pounds from his elderly parents...

Published: 12:38 pm August 14, 2025
Updated: 11:24 am October 13, 2025
Wiltshire Man Jailed for Stealing £52,000 From Elderly Parents and Bullying Victims

 

A Wiltshire man who stole tens of thousands of pounds from his elderly parents before launching a campaign of intimidation to force them and his ex-partner to drop the case has been jailed for more than six years.

Brett Conway, 66, formerly of Bouverie Park, Stanton St Quintin, was sentenced at Swindon Crown Court on Tuesday (13 August) to six years and eight months’ imprisonment following two jury trials.

Between December 2017 and June 2018, Conway transferred almost £52,000 from the joint account of his father – who had severe dementia – and his elderly mother. He claimed the money was for mortgage payments and building work on their home, which he owned, but investigators found much of it had been used to clear over £75,000 in credit card debt and fund multiple foreign holidays.

When challenged by his mother, Conway admitted taking the money but refused to pay it back. The emotional impact left her needing care in a residential home.

After his arrest on suspicion of theft, Conway began an obsessive campaign against his parents and former partner – who had given a witness statement – in an attempt to derail the investigation. He drafted false retraction letters, spread malicious claims about his ex-partner, and threatened costly legal action.

Detective Constable Rachael Fairbairn, from Wiltshire Police’s Complex Fraud Team, said Conway’s “brazen and bullying” behaviour inflicted far greater harm than the financial loss.

“It’s very sad the victims have died before the matter was concluded at court but I am pleased Conway will now face justice,” she said.

Conway was convicted of two counts of theft and one of perverting the course of justice. Action is now being taken under the Proceeds of Crime Act to recover the stolen funds.

 

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE