Man who lured officers with a bogus emergency call is jailed for 15 years

A man who lured officers with a bogus emergency call and then carried out a terrifying knife attack has been jailed.

Alex Traykov, 20 of Brighton Road, Redhill, was found guilty of three counts of GBH with intent and one count of attempted GBH at the Old Bailey on 16 April.

He was sentenced at the same court on Friday, 24 May, to 15 years.

The court heard how on Saturday, 6 October 2018 at 10.42pm police received an emergency call to a house in Liverpool Road, Islington.

The caller said that there was a fight in progress between two men and the caller gave his name as Soloman.

This was a lie, there was no fight and police phone enquires latter revealed the caller was in fact Traykov.

Four local officers went to the scene, all doing their duty to help keep their community safe.

What these officers could not know, is they were being lured to a deliberate trap and the man who had called them was waiting, armed with a knife.

The four officers, two men and two women, arrived at the scene in two police vehicles.

CCTV recovered later showed the four officers walking up a long stairway, to a house that was dark and apparently quiet.

One of the female officers, PC Said-Ali rang the front door and it was opened within a matter of seconds by Traykov.

PC Said-Ali asked if he was alright, but Traykov appeared emotionless and stood with his right hand behind his back.

PC Said-Ali warned her colleagues that he had something in his hand and, as soon as she said this, Traykov raised his hand revealing a large knife.

PC Said-Ali stepped back and raised her hand to protect herself and Traykov brought the knife down on the back of her head, cutting her head and her hand.

The officer fell down the steps and Traykov began slashing at the other officers.

PC Thomson saw him raise the knife above his head and bring it down in a series of stabbing motions. He swung the knife at PC Kedziora and struck him to the face, the blow disorientating him.

The officers immediately tried to get out of the way of the vicious and unprovoked attack.

Traykov continued the deadly attack and moved forward, stabbing the officers multiple times with the knife.

PC Kedziora, felt a number of intense blows to the back of his head.

The officers stumbled and fell down the stairs to the gate of the property.

Traykov had pursued them and stood over PC Kedziora with the knife, on seeing PC Watkins with her taser, Traykov threw the knife at her.

At this point PC Watkins discharged her taser hitting the defendant who fell briefly to the floor. Traykov managed to get back up and PC Watkins had to use the Taser a second time, again driving Traykov to the floor.

Officers were able to restrain him using their protective equipment.

The knife Traykov used was later recovered from the road and forensically examined.

The knife had a blade 23 centimetres long and was found to show traces of PC Kedziora’s blood.

All four officers were injured in this terrifying attack

One officer had a laceration to his left cheek which required eight stitches and a 2cm laceration to his neck which required five stitches. He also had injuries to his elbow, knee and left leg.

One of the officers had a cut on her right hand and the back of her head that caused significant bleeding. This resulted in her fainting and requiring immediate hospital treatment.

Of the other two officers, one had a suspected fracture to her left wrist and the other a 15cm laceration to his forearm.

Traykov was arrested and questioned, but he declined to give any explanation of why he launched his vicious and unprovoked attack.

He was later charged with four counts of attempted murder.

The Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Kate Stannard said: “This case highlights the very real risk that police officers can be confronted with on a daily basis and the courage and professionalism officers demonstrate when doing their job.

“I am pleased that the sentence Alex Traykov received today, reflects the gravity of the offence. This crime has had a huge impact on the victims, both physically and mentally; they are being supported and I commend them for the bravery and determination to ensure that this violent individual was apprehended.

“Bringing violent offenders to justice and maintaining public safety is a top priory for us as a police service and I think today we have achieved that. Today’s sentence was important as we have now negated the risk that Alex Traykov posed to other police officers and members of the public.”

Detective Constable Ed Sehmer, of the Central North Command Unit, the officer in the case, said: “This whole attack lasted only about 30 seconds, but was a traumatic and terrifying ordeal for officers, who were only going about their duty. Events such as this highlight the courageous work that police do every day, sometimes having to confront violent and dangerous criminals, who are determined to do them harm.

“These officers went to help someone they believed was in need of police assistance, not realising they were being lured to a trap and a chilling ambush awaited them. If my colleagues had not reacted so quickly to protect each other, the result of that night could have been deadly.

“Traykov has now received a significant sentence for his actions, but I am sure that night will linger in the memories of those four officers, who are now back on duty, responding to calls and working to keep London safe.”
Speaking after the sentence the four officers who were attacked whilst carrying out their duty

PC Ben Thomson:”This has been the most stressful period in my life, both personally and for my family. I joined this job to protect people and uphold the law. My colleagues and I did our duty on that night, and we were subjected to an unprovoked savage attack at the hands of the defendant. We all suffered injury as a result, but fortunately, we were able to fight back and ultimately we survived, and our physical injuries have or will heal over time. Who can say how we have been injured mentally and whether we will ever come to terms with what we experienced.”

PC Launa Watkins said:”When I attended the call that night it was with the intention of protecting the public, I didn’t realise it would, in fact, be me, and my colleagues, who would be fighting for our lives at the hands of a knife-wielding 19-year-old, who had lured us to the address with the intention of carrying out the attack. I have never been subjected to such a violent and determined attack in the entirety of my 16 years of service, and I hope that no other officer ever has to endure such gratuitous violence. Luckily that night myself and my colleagues were determined to never give up and to stay alive and fight, despite us all suffering injuries at the hands of this individual.”

PC Rafal Kedziora said:” Police officers are facing ruthless criminals on a daily basis who have zero regards for the value of life. We experience traumatic events daily, and are frequently placed in dangerous situations, which yes is part of the job, and accept that; we run towards danger and not away from it. I and my colleagues came to work that evening to protect and serve the community, I have been left with life-changing injuries that my family and I are continuing to come to terms with, and the mental scars may never heal.

PC Istarlin Said Ali Said:”These past six months have been a rollercoaster of emotions, and stress and pain for me, my family, my colleagues and the wider team I work with. I joined this job knowing the risks that comes with it however I never thought I would ever come close to death like I did on that night and no level of training could have prepared us for what we had to endure. Although we are police officers, we are human beings just like the communities we serve. We should be able to go to work and do the job we have chosen to do without a fear of not going home to our loved ones at the end of our shift. It is my hope that justice will be served and I hope this can stand in some way as a line drawn in the sand. I hope it serves to make any person thinking of using a knife against another person to consider the consequences, including those to their own families and friends, understanding that if they do, they will be dealt with robustly and that the judicial process will seek the harshest sentence tariff in order to protect police officers and the law abiding public.”