Fire Crews Called to Fridge Fire at West Quay Shopping centre in Southampton

fire crews called to fridge fire at west quay shopping centre in southampton

Hampshire Fire and rescue services have been called to West Quay shopping centre days after dealing with an incident that was put down to cooking fumes from a fast food outlet.  Crews arrived at the centre just after 5.10pm on Saturday afternoon (December 31st). Two pumps and two officers first attended after a fire broke out within the complex.
[photoshelter-gallery g_id=”G00007jh5w2JReGU” g_name=”Fire-West-Qau” width=”800″ f_fullscreen=”t” bgtrans=”t” pho_credit=”iptc” twoup=”f” f_bbar=”t” f_bbarbig=”f” fsvis=”f” f_show_caption=”t” crop=”f” f_enable_embed_btn=”t” f_htmllinks=”t” f_l=”t” f_send_to_friend_btn=”f” f_show_slidenum=”t” f_topbar=”f” f_show_watermark=”t” img_title=”casc” linkdest=”c” trans=”xfade” target=”_self” tbs=”5000″ f_link=”t” f_smooth=”f” f_mtrx=”t” f_ap=”t” f_up=”f” height=”400″ btype=”old” bcolor=”#CCCCCC” ]

The centre has been evacuated  of staff  but was also currently   closed to the public.  It is understood that fire crews are dealing with a fridge fire that broken out in the Marks and Spencer’s unit within the centre. Two fire fighters committed in breathing apparatus are dealing with the fire using two jets. Further appliances have been sent to the Centre along with the HART (Hazarous Area Response Team) from South Centre ambulance service and a command and control unit from Eastleigh. There are a total of five fire engines at the incident. The shopping centre had closed to the public before fire began but restaurants on the upper levels were open. Many have been in contact advising that they are not effected by the fire.
A layer of smoke can be seen in the food court of M&S within the shopping complex. No one is understood to have been hurt.
A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and rescue service said that the small fire has been dealt with by crews and is now out. The crews were called to reports of a fire at West Quay shopping centre.
They found a small fire in a fridge in the food hall of the centre’s M&S store and crews from Southampton quickly extinguished it using two jets. The store’s sprinklers also activated to help deal with the fire. The centre was evacuated but was closing at that time anyway. The incident was closed at 6.07pm.