Tube Worker Fatally Assaulted at Ilford Station: Tributes Paid to “Most Loving” Man
Jorge Ortega, a 61-year-old Elizabeth Line worker, has died following a violent attack at Ilford station in east London. His family, colleagues, and public figures have paid heartfelt tributes to a man described as “the kindest soul.
The Incident
Mr. Ortega was attacked on Wednesday, 4 December, and sustained serious head injuries. Emergency services, including British Transport Police (BTP), were called to the station at 8:50 p.m. He was rushed to the hospital but tragically died on Friday, 6 December.

Ayodele Jamgbadi, 28, of Kingston Road, Ilford, has been charged with grievous bodily harm, affray, and possession of a prohibited offensive weapon in connection with the incident. Prosecutors have stated they will seek to amend the charges to reflect Mr. Ortega’s death.

Family Tribute
Mr. Ortega’s family issued a moving statement:
“Our Dad was the most loving person, the kindest soul you could have the pleasure of meeting. He was an amazing family man and always put others first. He loved his grandchildren, and in turn, they adored him.
“He was totally devoted to our Mum and loved her beyond what words can describe. Having been together for over 38 years, he is an example of what a great man should be like. Dad is and will always be in our hearts.”
Decades of Dedication
Mr. Ortega had been a railway worker for 24 years, serving as a customer experience assistant for MTREL, the operator of the Elizabeth Line.
Mike Bagshaw, managing director of MTREL, said:
“This is an unimaginable loss. Jorge served the railway community with dedication and kindness for more than two decades. He has lost his life simply for carrying out his job. Everyone has the right to feel safe and protected at work.

Community Reaction
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer called the incident “absolutely tragic,” emphasizing that “nobody should have to face any violence at work.
Mick Lynch, general secretary of the RMT union, said:
“We are deeply saddened by the passing of our member. The whole union sends its condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues. This senseless act of violence highlights the unacceptable abuse faced by rail staff.
Investigation
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Attwell, leading the investigation, described the attack as “a horrific and tragic incident” but reassured the public that it was an isolated case.
Specialist family liaison officers are supporting Mr. Ortega’s family as the investigation continues.
Legal Proceedings
Mr. Jamgbadi appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Friday and was remanded in custody. He is due to appear at Inner London Crown Court on 7 January 2025.
This tragic event has sparked widespread calls for greater protections for transport workers, with officials and organisations emphasising the need for a safe working environment for all.