Man Jailed for Manslaughter of 65-Year-Old Stuart Newton

Officers rushed to Worsley Court on February 13, 2020, after Stuart Newton was found with serious head injuries. Despite being taken to hospital, the 65-year-old tragically died the following day.

Suspect Arrested and Charged

Nathan Scott Williams, 32, from Worsley Court, Oswaldtwistle, was arrested the day after the incident and charged with murder. However, last year’s trial ended with the jury unable to reach a verdict.

Earlier this year, Williams pleaded guilty to manslaughter at Preston Crown Court, admitting responsibility for Stuart’s death.

Fatal Night Unfolded After Heated Argument

On the evening of February 12, 2020, Williams and Stuart Newton were socialising at a nearby property. What started as a friendly gathering quickly turned sour after Stuart made a comment about childcare arrangements that Williams took personally.

  • Both men left the property shortly afterward.
  • Witnesses heard Williams shout, “I’ve hit him.”
  • Stuart was found moments later, lying injured on the ground with severe head wounds.
  • Williams returned and admitted, “I didn’t mean it,” when confronted.

Evidence and Court Proceedings

Stuart suffered multiple fractures to his face and skull, along with a brain bleed. His death was eventually ruled as blunt head trauma.

Williams admitted punching Stuart and evidence suggested he also used his feet during the attack. While in hospital, Stuart’s blood was found on Williams’ trainers.

Williams initially told police that Stuart had fallen but claimed he didn’t see it happen. A text message sent by Williams on February 13 revealed he feared he had either put Stuart in a coma or killed him.

Police and Family Reactions

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Wilson said: “This senseless violence has cost a loving family man his life. The violence used by Williams was completely unacceptable and disproportionate. I am pleased Williams finally took responsibility by pleading guilty to manslaughter. Stuart’s family have now seen some justice with this significant custodial sentence.”

Stuart Newton’s family said: “Stuart, beloved husband, father and grandfather, was taken too soon at 65. He was intelligent, hardworking, and a man who loved cooking, crosswords, and sports. He enjoyed time with grandchildren and holidays with his wife Susan. We miss him dearly and hope he can rest in peace.”

Katie Marsden, Senior Crown Prosecutor for North West CPS, added: “This is a tragic case involving the unnecessary death of a 65-year-old man. Our thoughts are with Stuart’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE