Fareham Man Dies after Workshop Garage Fire Flashover

fire crews tackle blaze at garage in fareham

It is sad to report this evening that following a serious fire in Fareham on Easter Sunday a man has sadly died of his injuries.

The family of a 84-year-old retired engineer have confirmed this evening that the man has died after a blaze on Highlands Road peaceful in his sleep in the early hour of this morning.

Despite the great work of Paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service and Doctors on board the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air ambulance staff  that battled to give the man specialist treatment at the scene for full thickness burns the man has died.
The man was flown from the scene to hospital on board the air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital.
It is believed that prior to fire breaking out that Pensioner he had lit a filled a gas burning blow torch and excess fuel had ignited in his converted garage that acted as a workshop. The fuel exploded and caused a flash within the converted workshop. Two Fire Crews from Fareham found the building well alight with flames shooting out through the roof. Crews tackled the fire after having to smash their way.

Pic: Fareham Fire