Man Stabbed to Death in Shocking Old Kent Road Murder
Police were scrambled at 6.30am on Tuesday, 9 January after reports of a knife attack on Old Kent Road, SE1.
Emergency crews including London’s Air Ambulance and the Ambulance Service raced to the scene. A 47-year-old man was found suffering from fatal stab wounds.
Despite desperate efforts from paramedics, the victim died at the scene just before 7.30am.
Two Arrests Made as Murder Inquiry Kicks Off
The Met’s Specialist Crime Command, led by Detective Chief Inspector Mike Nolan, launched a murder investigation immediately.
DCI Nolan said: “Early signs show the stabbing happened inside a nearby home before the victim was discovered by members of the public.”
“It appears everyone involved knew each other. There’s no wider threat to the public.”
A 54-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of murder. Both remain in custody at South London police stations.
Police Appeal for Witnesses as Crime Scene Remains Locked Down
Officers have sealed off the area while they work to identify the victim and inform next of kin. A post-mortem is expected soon.
DCI Nolan added: “Thanks to those who have spoken to police so far and to the community for their patience. If anyone has information or footage, please come forward.”
Chief Superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh, who leads Southwark policing, said: “This incident will shock the local community. You’ll see an increased police presence and I urge anyone worried to speak to officers or contact your neighbourhood team.”
“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this tragic time.”
Anyone with information should call 020 8721 4622 or 101, or tweet @MetCC quoting 891/9DEC.
To remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.