Copnor Pub Evacuated after Nosious smell Sparks Alert

Emergency Services  have been called to The Star and Garter Public house  in Portsmouth after reports of a “chemical incident” this evening September 29.

Fire,Police and Paramedics  arrived at around 10.30pm and the poplar watering hole  was cordoned off. The area was also closed off to traffic.

Two police cars, Five  fire appliances and two ambulances where sent to  the scene in Copnor  Road.  The Public house was also evacuated as fire crews attempted to work out what was causing a suspicious smell. A Specialists  Detection, Identification and Monitoring (DIM) unit  based at  Winchester was called in to help identify what was causing the smell.   The area was  than ventilated by fire fighters and the area was later declared safe approximately  two hours later.  A secondary area near Burfields Avenue was also commandeered  Traffic was diverted away from the area by Police officers.

Retired engineer   Peter Walker, who lives on Copnor  Road , said: “It was a bit  chock-a-block with all the vehicles in the road. The Policeman stood in the road turn traffic away”.

“I could see a group of about six or seven people huddled behind a cordon with the police.”

A Spokesman for Greene King Group said “He was aware of the incident but didn’t wish to comment any further on the matter

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue  Service spokeswoman said: “Crews were called after a request from South Central Ambulance service.  A suspicious smell lingered within the air at the premise. A number of appliances where sent and two  Special appliances where summons to support the attending crews.