Two police officers who died alongside five members of the public in a devastating collision on the A66 have been named.

PC Matthew Blades, 37, and PC Tom Clough, 38, of Cleveland Police were killed while on duty after their marked police vehicle was struck by a Volkswagen Passat travelling the wrong way along the A66 at South Bank, near Middlesbrough.

The collision happened at around 3.39am on Saturday, August 22, with all seven people travelling in the two vehicles pronounced dead at the scene.

Cleveland Police Chief Constable Victoria Fuller confirmed the identities of the two officers on Saturday afternoon and described their deaths as a devastating loss for the force and wider community.

She said the officers had been serving and protecting the people of Cleveland when they lost their lives, adding that she had personally visited both families to offer condolences and support.

Five members of the public also killed

Five people travelling inside the Volkswagen Passat were also killed.

Police said the Passat was travelling the wrong way along the A66 when it collided with the marked police vehicle, which was travelling in the correct direction.

Officers were still working to formally identify all five occupants of the Volkswagen and contact their families.

The collision triggered a huge emergency response, with North East Ambulance Service deploying 14 resources, including ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, its Hazardous Area Response Team and a doctor from Great North Air Ambulance Service.

Despite the efforts of emergency personnel, all seven victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

Police pursuit before fatal collision

The Independent Office for Police Conduct has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

According to the police watchdog, officers had spotted what was described as a “suspicious vehicle” before a pursuit began.

The vehicle subsequently travelled onto the A66 before the fatal collision with the separate marked Cleveland Police vehicle.

IOPC Director of Investigations Nicola Marfleet said investigators had been sent to begin examining evidence and establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened.

The referral to the IOPC is mandatory following a death after police contact.

‘They should have come home’

Redcar MP Anna Turley paid tribute to the two officers and the five members of the public who lost their lives.

She said the two officers had gone to work to protect their community and “should have come home to their families”.

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood also described the incident as devastating and paid tribute to the officers, saying police put their own safety on the line every day to protect their communities.

The families of those who have been identified are receiving specialist support.

The A66 remains closed between Normanby Road and Church Lane, with motorists being advised to avoid the area while investigators continue their work.

Police have urged people not to speculate about the circumstances of the collision while the investigation remains ongoing.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE