Hove Jury Slams Hammer Killer with 22 Years Behind Bars
Brutal Murder Shakes Lewes Community
A man dubbed a cold-blooded killer was locked up for 22 years after a jury at Hove Crown Court found him guilty of murdering Lewes woman Nicola Stevenson.
Richard Canlin, 41, who had been living in Nicola’s Lewes flat, struck with a hammer in a savage attack. The horrific crime unfolded inside Nicola’s own home on Stansfield Road, where Canlin lived both before and after the murder.
Body Found in Wheelie Bin After Lewes Bonfire Night
Nicola’s mutilated body was chillingly dumped in a wheelie bin and found in bushes near Landport Recreation Ground on November 13, 2019. She had suffered severe head injuries.
Police investigation revealed the crime actually took place more than a month earlier, on October 10. Shockingly, her body remained undiscovered even during the packed Lewes Bonfire and fireworks celebrations.
Killer Lived in Victim’s Flat, Faked Her Disappearance
Canlin brazenly took over Nicola’s home, changing the lease and utility bills into his name. He told friends Nicola had mysteriously vanished to Scotland — all while spending her money and living as if nothing had happened.
Forensic experts found signs of a violent struggle at the flat. The murder weapon, a claw hammer, was dumped in a bin at the property and recovered by police.
Detective Praises Team and Details Chilling Crime
“Canlin killed Nicola in a brutal attack. She had allowed him to stay, but when she asked him to leave, he took advantage of her kindness and clubbed her to death,” said Detective Chief Inspector Chris Friday.
“He then dumped her body callously in a bin near the park and carried on with her life as if nothing happened. Despite overwhelming evidence, he lied repeatedly and tried to pin the murder on someone else.”
“This has been a fast-moving and complex investigation, with my team working tirelessly to secure justice. I commend the bravery of witnesses and the professional dedication of Detective Constable Dawn Robertson,” added DCI Friday.
Family Gratitude Amidst Tragedy
Nicola’s parents expressed heartfelt thanks to Sussex Police and forensic teams. “We are grateful for the painstaking work that led to justice,” they said.
“We also thank our family, friends, and police for their unwavering support through this heartbreakingly long and difficult year.”