Aristocrat and partner ’caused death of newborn baby carried in Lidl bag’ while on the run, court hears

Newborn Baby Dies After Couple Go Off-Grid, Court Told

Aristocrat Constance Marten and partner Mark Gordon are accused of causing the death of their newborn after fleeing social services with the infant wrapped in a Lidl “bag for life.” The couple went on the run following the removal of their four other children and lived off-grid in brutal winter conditions. Prosecutors claim their secret birth and escape led to the “entirely avoidable” death of their baby daughter.

Frozen and Forgotten: Baby Left in Shopping Bag in South Downs

At the Old Bailey, Prosecutor Tom Little KC revealed chilling details. The baby was hidden in a shopping bag covered in rubbish and exposed to freezing weather conditions in South Downs National Park during early 2023. Mr Little slammed the parents:

“Rather than act in the obvious best interest of a vulnerable baby… they decided they knew best. They deprived their baby of warmth, shelter, food and, ultimately, safety.”

Evading Authorities in ‘Reckless’ Parenting Bid

Marten, 37, and Gordon, 50, reportedly refused all medical support after Marten’s secret December 2022 pregnancy. Instead of seeking help, they spent a fortune on taxis to stay hidden, bought only minimal baby supplies—one Babygro and no hat—and camped in a flimsy tent, scavenging food in harsh conditions. Despite access to funds from Marten’s aristocratic family trust, the couple chose to live rough rather than seek shelter or aid.

Grim Discovery: Baby’s Body Found in Disused Shed

After nearly two months on the run, the pair were arrested on February 27, 2023, following an attempted shoplift by Marten. Police discovered the baby’s body on March 1, wrapped in a plastic bag and dumped beneath rubbish in a disused shed, alongside the blue tent they had used. Prosecutor Little said:

“The lack of clothing and basic care for the baby tells you everything you need to know about the neglect she suffered.”

Facing Manslaughter Charges as Trial Continues

Convicted previously of concealment of birth and perverting justice, Marten and Gordon now face a retrial for manslaughter by gross negligence. They also face charges of causing or allowing the death of a child, both of which they deny. Marten appeared in court dressed sharply, while Gordon may join proceedings via video link.

The trial has gripped the nation, spotlighting serious safeguarding failures and the desperate lengths some parents go to evade social services.

The Old Bailey trial continues.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CourtsCrime

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE