Richard Dentith, 31, from Manchester, was found unconscious on Grimesthorpe Road at around 02.50 on...

Published: 5:24 am March 16, 2023
Updated: 10:01 am October 8, 2025
A Teenager Has Been Found Guilty Of Murdering A Father In Sheffield Following A Stabbing Last Year

Richard Dentith, 31, from Manchester, was found unconscious on Grimesthorpe Road at around 02.50 on Thursday 7 April 2022 and pronounced dead.

A post-mortem concluded that the 31-year-old died from a single stab wound and detectives launched an extensive investigation that saw them arrest and interview a number of suspects, and carry out meticulous CCTV checks and forensic enquiries.

It was found from CCTV checks that a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, chased Richard near to a mosque on the street and attacked him before making off.

At the time, Richard’s family said: “Our thanks go to South Yorkshire Police and their forensic team for conducting a diligent and thorough investigation in the lead-up to this trial. We would also like to thank the legal team for their comprehensive preparation and presentation of the case for the prosecution.

“Unfortunately, due to ongoing health issues made worse by the stress of Richard’s violent death, and the travel distances involved, we have had to follow court

proceedings remotely. We are therefore grateful for the regular communication and outstanding support we have received through the police liaison officer.

“Ricky had many obstacles to overcome in his life and he struggled at times. However, he was to us, first and foremost, a much-loved son, brother and father. He had three main loves in his life, his young son, sport, and cooking delicious food. He was hard-working, a caring father, a skilled sportsman and a talented chef.

“Ricky died far too young in a senseless attack and will be sorely missed by his family and many friends. His young son will now grow up without the support of the father he loved very much. Whilst today’s verdict comes as a relief that justice has been served, it will not bring Ricky back.

“This loss goes far beyond our own family. The fact that yet another young life full of potential has been taken by knife crime on the UK streets is a sad indictment of our society.”

The 17-year-old was found guilty of murder at Sheffield Crown Court today

Detective Inspector John Fitzgibbons, leading the investigation, said: “This was an awful attack and is a stark reminder of the reality of knife crime and how one man’s life can be lost and a family’s hearts broken just from one stab wound. Knife crime remains one of our biggest priorities.

“A team of detectives have put a huge amount of work into this case to make sure Richard’s murderer was brought to justice.

“The killer has not taken any responsibility for his actions and told numerous lies throughout this whole process, including blaming the victim for causing his own death and stating he was the ‘aggressor’.

“He declined to comment throughout his interview but later gave one account in his defence statement which he then backtracked on when giving evidence.

“Our thoughts remain with Richard’s family who is understandably still devastated and has had to endure a 10-day trial after the teenager pleaded not guilty.”

The 17-year-old will be sentenced on Monday.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE