A homeless man has been found guilty of attempted murder after pushing a Tube passenger...

Published: 3:59 pm July 31, 2024
Updated: 12:02 pm October 8, 2025
Homeless Man Found Guilty of Attempted Murder After Pushing Passenger Onto Tube Tracks

A homeless man has been found guilty of attempted murder after pushing a Tube passenger onto the tracks at Oxford Circus Underground station. Kurdish migrant Brwa Shorsh, 24, shoved stranger Tadeusz Potoczek, 61, on February 3.

Mr. Potoczek, a postman who was on his way home from work, narrowly missed touching the live rail on the southbound Victoria line. Another passenger helped him back up to the platform just in time, as the driver of an oncoming train confirmed that “if he had been on the track a few seconds later, he would have been killed,” the Inner London Crown Court heard.

Shocking CCTV footage of the incident shows Shorsh pushing Mr. Potoczek onto the tracks in what appeared to be an unprovoked attack. The distressing video captured the chaotic moments as officers and medics rushed to administer CPR to Mr. Potoczek on the pavement behind a police cordon.

Mr. Potoczek’s colleague described him on X, formerly known as Twitter, as “a true gentleman at work and always smiling.” In a heartfelt tribute, the colleague wrote: “Our garage is in mourning now. My condolences to his family.

Following a swift investigation, Shorsh was arrested and charged with attempted murder. He was found guilty by a jury after just 32 minutes of deliberations. Mr. Justice Kelleher, addressing the defendant after the verdict, said: “You have been found guilty of attempted murder, which is a very serious offence, and a long prison sentence will follow.

Detective Chief Superintendent James Conway, responsible for policing in Hackney and Tower Hamlets, said: “I understand the shock and concern this incident will cause, even more so given the recent and tragic murder of Pharrell Garcia in the borough last week. However, I want to reassure people that a team of experienced detectives are already working diligently to identify whoever is responsible for this violent act. Our most immediate thoughts are clearly with the family and friends of the man killed last night.”

The tragic incident has heightened concerns over public safety and the need for increased security measures at transport hubs across London. Authorities are urging anyone with additional information or witnesses to come forward to help with the ongoing investigation.

For those with information, please contact police on 101 or @MetCC on X, quoting CAD 8517/30Jul. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously at 0800 555 111.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE