Met Police Nab Nearly 40 Suspected Online Child Abusers in Week-Long Crackdown

The Met Police have launched a major offensive against online child abuse, arresting 38 suspects and safeguarding 138 children in just six days. The operation, dubbed Operation Legatum, targeted predators exploiting lockdown’s surge in internet use.

Lockdown Fuels Online Threat to Children

The Met’s Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSAE) Unit warned the rise in screen time during the UK’s lockdown has increased risk to children. From May 18 to May 23, officers executed 82 warrants, seized 278 exhibits, and launched investigations into tens of thousands of abusive images found on phones, tablets, and laptops.

“Since the lockdown started, officers have been working flat out to track down those suspected of harming children online,” said Detective Superintendent Helen Flanagan, who leads the OCSAE Unit.

“Online offenders sometimes convince themselves they’re ‘only looking’ – but every image is a crime scene with a real child abused. There’s no hiding behind a screen. If you access this vile material, expect arrest, prosecution, and possible jail.”

Lockdown Months See Surge in Protection Efforts

  • Between March 23 and April 23: 45 arrests, 68 warrants executed, 92 children protected.
  • The Met continues to receive around 50 reports a week of suspected online abuse, with numbers expected to rise as lockdown drags on.

Despite steady report rates so far, Detective Supt Flanagan warns the full impact will hit official statistics later this year, urging parents and carers to stay alert to online dangers.

Parents Urged: Stay Vigilant, Talk to Your Kids About Online Safety

Parents are urged to educate themselves about internet risks and use parental controls and privacy settings to protect children. Flanagan added:

“The internet offers great opportunities for young people, but predators use it to target and groom. Lockdown means more screen time, and sadly more predators online. Parents must talk openly with their kids and spot any worrying behaviour early.”

Charity Warns of Serious Consequences for Online Child Abuse Offenders

Child protection charity Lucy Faithfull’s Stop It Now! helpline highlighted the devastating impact of viewing indecent images and the harsh penalties offenders face. Donald Findlater, Director of Stop It Now!, said:

“The Met’s crackdown shows how serious online sexual crimes against children are. Offenders face arrest, prison, loss of jobs, family breakdowns, and sex offender registration.

“Many recognise their actions cause harm and seek help. During lockdown, we’ve seen more calls from people worried about their own or a loved one’s behaviour. Our helpline provides confidential support to stop abuse before it happens.”

Met Doubles Specialist Officers to Combat Rising Online Abuse

The Met now fields 208 specialist officers in OCSAE units across all 12 boroughs – more than double the force at the start of 2020 thanks to funding from the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime. These teams work alongside frontline officers to tackle the most complex and serious online child abuse cases.

With internet use soaring year-on-year, the Met continues to update tactics and technology to outpace offenders exploiting children online.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CrimePolice

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE