An investigation by the London Fire Brigade (LFB) has found that “unknown flaming objects”...

Published: 12:24 pm April 25, 2025
Updated: 1:11 pm October 8, 2025
‘Flying Flaming Objects’ Helped Spread Dagenham Block Fire, LFB Report Finds

 

An investigation by the London Fire Brigade (LFB) has found that “unknown flaming objects” helped spread a devastating fire that destroyed a block of flats and left more than 80 people homeless in Freshwater Road, Dagenham last year.

The report revealed that the flaming debris, seen on CCTV footage, landed on a nursery attached to the Spectrum House flats and ignited combustible materials. The flames then quickly spread up the building and into surrounding timber scaffolding boards.

Despite this evidence, investigators could not conclusively determine whether the fire was started accidentally or deliberately.

At its height, the fire — which broke out in August 2024 — required the efforts of 225 firefighters to bring under control. Following the incident, the damaged flats were deemed unsafe by building owners and were demolished in December.

Residents’ Anger Over Fire Safety

Former resident Sarah Williams, who escaped the blaze, said the real issue was not how the fire started but how the building’s poor safety standards allowed the flames to spread so rapidly.

“It doesn’t really matter how a fire started, it’s how that building was in such a condition that it spread so quickly,” Williams said.
If blocks of flats work properly, you don’t have 80 people running for their lives in the middle of the night.

Ms. Williams criticised building owners and managers, saying they “vanished into the ether” after the disaster, leaving residents traumatised and without answers.

She described the LFB’s report as a “small and positive” step toward justice, but emphasised that a full criminal investigation into possible fire safety breaches is critical.

“I would rather have a successful criminal conviction than an unsuccessful one, even if it takes longer,” she added, drawing lessons from the Grenfell Tower tragedy about the importance of thorough investigations.

Ongoing Investigation into Fire Safety Breaches

The LFB confirmed that a separate investigation into potential fire safety offences at the block is a priority, and said further comment would be made after a meeting with residents scheduled for Thursday evening.

The freeholder, Arinium Limited, and the managing agents, Block Management UK Ltd, were approached for comment but have not responded. Previously, Block Management UK Ltd stated that its responsibility was limited to maintaining common areas of the building, not individual flats.

The LFB report notes that more than 80% of the fifth and sixth floors were destroyed during the blaze.

The investigation remains ongoing, with authorities pledging to continue supporting affected residents and holding any responsible parties to account.

 

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE