Flaming Debris Blamed for Dagenham Flat Blaze Leaving 80 Homeless
An explosive fire ripped through flats on Freshwater Road, Dagenham last year, leaving more than 80 people homeless. The London Fire Brigade (LFB) investigation has revealed that unknown flaming objects flying through the air sparked the inferno.
Flaming Objects Land on Nursery, Igniting Devastation
CCTV footage showed burning debris landing on a nursery attached to Spectrum House. The flames quickly caught hold of highly flammable materials and spread up the building and into surrounding timber scaffolding boards, gutting large portions of the flats.
The fire – which erupted in August 2024 – demanded a massive response, with 225 firefighters battling the blaze at its peak. The burned-out flats were later declared unsafe and demolished in December.
Residents Blast Poor Fire Safety Standards
Survivor Sarah Williams slammed the building’s safety failings. She told reporters:
“It doesn’t really matter how a fire started, it’s how that building was in such a condition that it spread so quickly. If blocks of flats work properly, you don’t have 80 people running for their lives in the middle of the night.”
Williams accused the building owners and managers of disappearing after the disaster, leaving residents shaken and seeking answers. She called the LFB report a “small and positive step,” but stressed the need for a thorough criminal investigation into possible fire safety breaches.
“I would rather have a successful criminal conviction than an unsuccessful one, even if it takes longer,” she said, echoing lessons from the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
Fire Safety Probe Continues – Owners Silent
The LFB confirmed a separate investigation into fire safety offences at the block remains a top priority. A meeting with residents is scheduled for Thursday evening to discuss next steps.
The block’s freeholder, Arinium Limited, and managing agents, Block Management UK Ltd, have so far declined to comment. Previously, Block Management UK said their responsibility was limited to maintaining common areas, not individual flats.
The LFB report stated more than 80% of the fifth and sixth floors were destroyed. Authorities vow to keep supporting affected residents and to hold any responsible parties accountable as the investigation unfolds.