Shocking Rape Claim Shakes Quiet Hassocks

A 25-year-old man was arrested after a 14-year-old girl reported being raped in Hassocks. The alleged attack took place in the early hours of Thursday, 2 October, at a local residence.

Sussex Police sprang into action immediately following the report.

Suspect Held and Released on Bail

On Monday, 6 October, police detained a man from Mid Sussex on suspicion of rape. After questioning, he was released on conditional bail as the investigation presses on.

Victim Gets Support as Police Dig Deeper

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Cobbett, who is leading the case, confirmed specialist officers are supporting the young victim and her family.

“We are pursuing a number of lines of enquiry to establish the full circumstances of what happened,” he said.

“From our investigation so far, we believe the victim and the suspect were known to each other prior to the incident.”

Community Reassured as Police Step Up Patrols

Officers stressed they are not hunting anyone else and believe there’s no wider threat to Hassocks residents.

Inspector David Derrick vowed a heightened police presence while the probe continues.

“We understand that reports like this can cause concern in the community,” he said. “Residents may notice an increased police presence in the area as we continue to carry out our work.”

How You Can Help

Anyone with information should contact Sussex Police online or call 101, quoting Operation Insight. Your tip could be crucial.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE