Brother of Murder Defendant Jailed for Court Contempt
Rijaan Mohamed, 25, has been sentenced to seven months behind bars for contempt of court at Manchester Crown Square Crown Court. The sentence follows a shocking disruption during the high-profile murder trial of Badri Issa.
Drama Unfolds in Badri Issa Murder Trial
The court has been hearing evidence in the murder case of Badri Issa, who was killed on Moss Side Lane East on October 25, 2023. Recently, Raami Mohamed and Kevell Blake were found guilty of murder and manslaughter, respectively.
But on April 26, Rijaan Mohamed — brother of one of the defendants — dropped his phone from the public gallery into the courtroom during a short adjournment. When retrieved, the phone was found to have been secretly recording court proceedings for over an hour and a half. Further checks revealed Rijaan had been covertly filming multiple sessions throughout the trial.
Detective Slams Contemptuous Court Behaviour
Rijaan pled guilty to contempt of court and faced sentencing on May 10. Detective Chief Inspector Andy Naismith, lead investigator on the Badri Issa case, condemned Rijaan’s actions as “unacceptable” and a huge blow to the victim’s family, who have already suffered immense loss.
“The loss of Badri Issa’s life has caused huge pain. To have court proceedings disrupted in this way only adds to that suffering,” said DCI Naismith.
He stressed the seriousness with which any interference in court is treated, and said the jail sentence “sends a clear message” that such conduct will not be tolerated.
Justice Served, But Pain Remains
As the trial wraps up, the sentencing represents a small step forward for justice for Badri Issa’s family. Yet the distress caused by actions like Rijaan Mohamed’s cast a shadow over the courtroom’s fight to deliver justice.