Postmasters Behind Horizon Scandal Set for Fresh Payout

The brave postmasters who first took the Post Office to the High Court over the faulty Horizon IT system can now claim compensation from a new scheme. These pioneers exposed one of the biggest scandals in UK business history, and their fight is finally paying off.

Landmark Legal Battle Sparks New Compensation Scheme

Back in 2019, a group of postmasters won a £43 million settlement plus legal costs against the Post Office. Their High Court case was a huge turning point, forcing the Government to launch the current Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry.

But despite the victory, many of these postmasters saw much of their payout wiped out by legal fees. They were also excluded from the Historical Shortfall Scheme, which compensates others who suffered from the Horizon mess.

The newly opened scheme recognises their unique role and ensures they get the same level of compensation as fellow victims of the Post Office’s catastrophic blunder.

Post Office Minister Vows Justice for Trailblazers

Post Office Minister Kevin Hollinrake said: “The trailblazing postmasters who exposed the Horizon scandal were instrumental in securing justice for all of those affected.

We will keep fighting for the postmasters and their families, and it is right that they will now receive full and fair compensation for the pain and suffering caused by this scandal.”

Decades of Miscarriages of Justice

The trouble began in the late 1990s when the Post Office rolled out the Horizon accounting software. Glitches in the system created shortfalls in branch accounts, which the Post Office wrongly blamed on sub-postmasters. Between 1999 and 2015, many were unfairly prosecuted for theft or false accounting, ruining lives.

In December 2022, the Government appointed an Independent Advisory Board to oversee the compensation process. Chaired by Professor Chris Hodges, the board includes Lord Arbuthnot, MP Kevan Jones, and Professor Richard Moorhead.

Professor Chris Hodges said: “The advisory board welcomes the creation of this GLO compensation scheme. While no payout can fully undo the injustice suffered by victims of the Post Office scandal, we believe compensation can help.

It is crucial the process remains independent, fair, and speedy.”

Compensation Progress So Far

  • Since March 7, the Post Office has paid over £17.5 million to postmasters with overturned convictions. 79 out of 84 affected individuals have received interim payments totaling £10.2 million.
  • Under the Historical Shortfall Scheme, as of March 3, 96% of eligible claimants were offered compensation worth £82.9 million. Offers to the remaining victims are being processed swiftly.

This latest scheme is another vital step forward for postmasters fighting to clear their names and reclaim what they deserve after decades of injustice.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE