Two brave girls bring sex predator to justice in Worksop
Predatory paedophile exposed by young victims
Two young girls have been hailed heroes after reporting multiple sexual assaults by the same man. Anthony Evans, 63, targeted his primary school-aged victims repeatedly in the Worksop area before police swooped in February last year.
One victim defied Evans’ chilling order to stay silent and told her mother. Inspired, another girl also came forward with harrowing accounts of abuse spanning several months.
Evans pleads guilty to shocking offences
Initially silent during police interviews, Evans later admitted to horrific crimes including sexual assault by penetration, sexual assault by touching, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and causing a child to watch a sexual act.
On Friday 19 January, nottingham/" title="Nottingham" data-wpil-keyword-link="linked">Nottingham Crown Court sentenced Evans to a hefty 12 years behind bars. He was also slapped with a life-long spot on the sex offenders’ register and slapped with a sexual harm prevention order to keep him away from children after release.
Detectives praise victims’ courage
Detective Constable Emily Bucklow thanked the girls for their bravery during a “very long and difficult” case. She called Evans “a predatory sex offender” who grossly underestimated the resilience of his victims.
“His victims both found the courage to tell an adult what was happening and later gave compelling testimony when interviewed by police,” Bucklow said.
DC Laura Manley, also involved in the investigation, added: “Thanks to these girls, Evans has been held to account and other potential victims protected. We hope this case encourages other victims to come forward.”