Teen Marvin Dyer Jailed for Life Over Brutal Stratford Bus Stabbing

On Friday, 25 September, 16-year-old Marvin Dyer was handed a life sentence at the Old Bailey. He must serve at least 16 years before he can apply for parole. The reporting restrictions were lifted, allowing his name to be made public.

From Online Feud to Deadly Attack

Marvin Dyer and another 16-year-old had earlier appeared at the Old Bailey on 11 August. After trial, Dyer was convicted of murder and wounding. The second defendant was cleared.

Just weeks before the attack, the victims—15-year-olds Baptista Adjei and his friend—got tangled in a nasty online spat with Dyer and his friend in a Snapchat group chat. They barely knew each other offline, only spotting each other around Stratford.

The banter soon turned hostile. Dyer messaged Baptista: “If you’ve got no bodies on your blade, leave the group chat.” Baptista fired back: “Shut up. You’ll be the first.” The insults escalated, ending with Dyer threatening to wait for them after school the next day.

Cold-Blooded Stabbing on the Bus

Though Dyer wasn’t there after school, the showdown happened weeks later on 10 October 2019. Baptista and his friend boarded a bus to Stratford. CCTV showed a calm 15-year-old Dyer get on at Stratford Broadway, pull a balaclava over his face, and wear a blue latex glove.

As the victims headed downstairs, Dyer struck with a 10-inch combat knife. In just nine seconds, he stabbed Baptista twice in the chest—piercing lung and heart—and slashed his friend multiple times as well.

Baptista ran to Stratford Centre, unaware of his grave injuries, before collapsing. Paramedics couldn’t save him; he died at 3:49pm. His friend was stabbed in the arm and leg and spent almost a week in hospital but has fully recovered.

Police, Family & Victims Speak Out

On 11 October, Dyer’s family confronted him after hearing rumours. He confessed to the attack and was handed over to Forest Gate" data-wpil-keyword-link="linked">Forest Gate police station by his mother. Charged the next day with murder, grievous bodily harm, and weapon offences, Dyer was remanded in custody awaiting trial.

Detective Sergeant Suzanne Soren said: “It is sad and concerning that such extreme violence was used to resolve such minor conflict—nothing more than name calling. The sentence won’t bring Baptista back, and his family will miss him every day. Marvin Dyer’s family’s lives have been changed forever too. I hope anyone involved in knife crime recognises that nothing is worth this price—paid by victim, perpetrator, and their families.”

Baptista’s mother said in a victim impact statement: “We can never get over Baptista’s death but pray that with time the pain will ease. Baptista’s and my plans were for him to finish school, get higher education, marry, and have children—making me a grandmother. Those dreams were stolen from us in such a cruel way.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CourtsCrime

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE