16-Year-Old Boy Electrocuted After Armed Gang Chase Onto Live Train Tracks in Kent
A terrifying attack saw 16-year-old Ted Warne-Harvey chased onto live train tracks by an armed gang wielding a hammer and metal pole, a court heard. The horrific incident happened near Westgate-on-Sea railway station in Kent on September 26, 2021.
While fleeing the violent youths, Ted tripped and fell onto the electrified rail line. CCTV footage revealed that moments earlier, he had been struck with a hammer. His body was seen visibly “smoking” from the electrocution, prompting a brave bystander to jump down and pull him to safety — an act that likely saved his life.
Youths Flee as Boy Lies Injured on Tracks
The gang, some just 15 years old, fled the scene, leaving Ted badly injured on the tracks. He suffered life-changing burns and needed three operations, including plastic surgery.
Last week, two members of the gang, Declan Stewart, 16, and James Odero, 17 at the time, were convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent. They were found guilty alongside other gang members of encouraging and assisting the violent attack.
Ted’s Shocking Hit-and-Run Earlier That Year
The court also revealed that Ted had already been seriously injured in a hit-and-run while cycling near Canterbury earlier in 2021. Two cars collided with him before speeding off, leaving Ted bleeding and shaking on the roadside.
“He was screaming in pain, saying he’d been hit by a car. I rushed to find him lying on the curb, covered in blood,” recalled Ted’s father, Stuart Harvey, 53.
Ted was rushed to Margate hospital, where doctors found multiple fractures to his foot, ankle, leg, arm, wrist, and hand.
Family Speaks Out: Call for Tougher Youth Violence Laws
Described by his parents as a lively boy who loved boxing, drumming, and cycling, Ted is still recovering from both traumatic incidents. His parents, Stuart and Laura Harvey, have welcomed the recent convictions but demand tougher action on youth violence and justice for the hit-and-run drivers — who remain unidentified.
“Ted could have been killed — not once, but twice. Something has to change,” said Stuart Harvey. “We’re grateful he’s alive, but no child should suffer like this.”
The court heard the attack was a deliberate act with clear intent to cause serious harm. Prosecutors said Ted’s burn injuries were among the worst seen in someone so young.
Justice Served — But Youth Violence Problem Lingers
While convictions bring some closure to the Warne-Harvey family, questions remain on why youth violence continues unchecked and how early warning signs were missed. The community and authorities face urgent calls to protect vulnerable youngsters from brutal attacks like Ted’s.