An independent investigation has been launched after a 52-year-old man died while being held in police custody in south London.
The man was found unresponsive during routine cell checks at the Windmill Road custody suite in Croydon at around 12.30am on Friday, 21 August.
Metropolitan Police officers entered the cell, began first aid and called the London Ambulance Service.
Paramedics attended and took over medical treatment, but despite efforts to save him, the man was pronounced dead at 1.17am.
The 52-year-old had been arrested in Croydon at 1.05pm on Tuesday, 19 August, on a no-bail warrant issued by Croydon Magistrates’ Court.
The warrant had been issued after he failed to appear in court in connection with charges of being drunk and disorderly.
Police said the man had been seen by a healthcare professional while in custody and had received welfare and observation checks.
Following his death, the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards was informed and a mandatory referral was made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.
The IOPC has now launched an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner James Harman said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and loved ones following his tragic death.
“The full circumstances of this death in custody will now be independently examined and we are providing our fullest support to that IOPC investigation.”
The man’s identity has not been released.