Hoax rescue callout could have put lives at risk in Gosport
An Independent lifeboat Coxswain has said lives could have been put at risk by a hoax callout in Gosport this morning.
One of the Charities lifeboats were launched in stormy weather at 10.40am on Sunday after reports that a child had got into difficulty after going into Haslar Creek. The search was stood down at 11:30 when the coastguard declared it a hoax. GAFIRS senior coxswain Chris Rudd said the hoax callers “could have put people’s lives at risk”. Mr Rudd said: “There was a heavy breaking surf in the area with a strong south-westerly wind blowing force seven and two-metre swells. The lifeboats were on scene within minutes and the volunteer lifeboat crew searched in very challenging Rugby Club approx 2 miles from the lifeboat station. The all-weather lifeboat was launched, and the search also involved a helicopter from Lee on the Solent, the Police and a team from Hillhead shore-based coastguard search and rescue team.
After an extensive search of the Creek area it then emerged the call-out had been made by hoaxers A spokesman for the UK Coastguard at Fareham said “Hoaxes like this tie up valuable resources and waste a great deal of time and money. We are glad it wasn’t a real child in the water.” Two local teenagers are being questioned by officers from Hampshire Police over the incident