A 31-year-old man has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for burglary, shoplifting and assault offences in Southampton.
James Edward Cain, of no fixed abode, appeared at Southampton Crown Court yesterday (Monday 20 November) having previously pleaded guilty to fraud and burglary offences.
The court heard how on June 10 2023 Cain entered an address on Shakespeare Avenue and stole a handbag, wallet, jewellery, headphones, cosmetics, £60 in cash, keys, a bank card and sunglasses belonging to a woman in her 20s. The woman was at home at the time of the burglary but was not injured.
An attempt to use the bank card was late made in Game Nation on Portswood High Street. Officers attended and found an ID card and bus pass belonging to the victim in the toilet.
Cain pleaded guilty to these offences at a hearing in August of this year.
He was also sentenced for breaching a suspended sentence as well as the following offences:
- On September 13 2022 two security guards, man in his 30s and a man in his 50s, were assaulted at WestQuay Shopping Centre when they asked Cain to leave the premises. Both men sustained minor injuries. On the same day Cain went into the Boots store and stole a make-up bag worth £76, which was later recovered. He also entered the Co-op Welcome store on Harbour Parade and assaulted two members of security staff, both men in their 30s, neither of which sustained serious injuries. A description of Cain was passed to police via the ShopWatch radio and he was arrested a short time later on Maritime Walk.
- On Wednesday 2 February 2023 Cain entered the John Lewis store in WestQuay Shopping Centre and stole two irons worth £680 in total.
- On Tuesday 20 June 2023 Cain stole six Superman costumes worth £240 and a laptop from Rock Bottom Toys in the Marlands Shopping Centre.
- On Thursday 13 July 2023 Cain stole £50 worth of alcohol from the Asda store on Portland Terrace.
He has now been sentenced to a total of 33 months in prison.
Detective Constable Jess Swift, who led the investigation, said: “Cain’s offending has been persistent and has had a real impact on shop staff, security staff and the victim who’s home he broke into.
“Dwelling burglary is an intrusive and upsetting crime for those involved, which is why we take it seriously and will do everything we can to bring offenders to justice. Equally, it is not acceptable that shop and security staff are subjected to criminal behaviour, harassment and abuse when they are simply trying to do their jobs.
“We are pleased with this sentence today and hope that it shows how committed we are to bringing those responsible for crimes of this nature before the courts so that justice can be served.”
Southampton Central Inspector Tim Williams said: “We will not tolerate this type of criminality in our city centre and the surrounding area, which is why we have now launched our City Centre Unit, dedicated to tackling shoplifting, acquisitive crime, street robbery, anti-social behaviour and vagrancy. We are confident that this will make a difference to those who have been impacted by these crimes and help to strengthen relationships with the Southampton retail and business sector.
“We continue to meet with Go! Southampton regularly to discuss recurring issues in the city centre and address these in partnership, while each of our neighbourhood teams continues patrolling key areas linked to our retail and business hubs.
“Our key areas of focus are to reduce this type of offending and associated anti-social behaviour while providing a visible presence to reassure and support our residents and businesses. As always, we encourage anyone with concerns to approach us when you see us patrolling. We are more than happy to stop and speak to you about any issues you may be experiencing or questions you may have.”