A ten-year-old boy was left with severe facial injuries after being struck by an e-bike in Loughborough, Leicestershire. The young boy, Carter Ralph, suffered a traumatic injury with his nose nearly severed in the hit-and-run incident, leaving his mother devastated as the rider fled without checking on her son.
The incident occurred on October 30 while Carter was playing outside his home. His mother, Nadine Ralph, 39, was inside when she heard Carter’s piercing scream. Rushing outside, she found her son lying on the ground, his face covered in blood and his nose barely attached. Carter was rushed to the hospital, where he required two surgeries to repair injuries to his nose, mouth, and one of his eyelids. Doctors expect his recovery will take several months.
Describing the incident as “horrendous,” Ms. Ralph said, “He looked like he had been badly beaten up – he was so battered and bruised.” Carter also sustained a severe bruise on his chest, where the e-bike’s handlebars likely struck him.
Despite the boy’s condition, the rider, who was on a Barracuda e-bike, reportedly picked himself up and fled the scene without offering help. Nearby residents assisted Ms. Ralph as she rushed Carter to the hospital, while police were called to investigate the hit-and-run. CCTV footage obtained from a neighbour reportedly captured the rider on the pavement, and witnesses confirmed the incident took place on a public footpath.
“The fact the cyclist did not stop to check on my child or pick him up off the ground and seek help shows that man has no heart. It is unbelievable behaviour,” Ms Ralph revealed on social media.
This incident adds to a growing list of e-bike-related accidents, sparking renewed concerns over the safety of these silent, high-speed vehicles. In July 2023, a 91-year-old Army veteran, Jim Blackwood, lost his life after being struck by an e-bike outside his home in Rochester, Kent.
While e-bikes are legal in Britain, they have a maximum speed limit of 15.5 mph, and riders do not require a license. Ms. Ralph is calling for stricter regulations and penalties for “dangerous cyclists who ignore road rules,” as her son remains fearful of being struck again.
Leicestershire Police confirmed that the cyclist fled the scene and said they are continuing inquiries to determine the full circumstances of the incident. “Our investigation remains ongoing, including speaking with the boy and his family, conducting house-to-house inquiries, and analyzing CCTV,” a police spokesperson stated.
Anyone with information on the incident is encouraged to contact Leicestershire Police.