The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is facing legal action over the tragic death of PC...

Published: 11:09 pm April 21, 2020
Updated: 11:09 pm April 21, 2020
The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is facing legal action over the tragic death of PC Keith Palmer who was killed during the Westminst… – UKNIP

The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is facing legal action over the tragic death of PC Keith Palmer who was killed during the Westminster terror attack

The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is facing legal action over the tragic death of PC Keith Palmer who was killed during the Westminster terror attack.

Khalid Masood stabbed PC Palmer during a frenzied attack on 22nd March 2017. Masood had run over pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before crashing his car and launching an attack on PC Palmer.

Masood was shot dead by a close protection officer who was in the vicinity at the time of the attack on PC Palmer.

 

Aspokesperson for the Met Police said that it had received “a letter of claim in relation to the death of PC Palmer”.

However, PC Palmer’s widow, Michelle Palmer, said that she felt “let down” by Scotland Yard for making it public.

She said: “It was always of paramount importance that this matter remained private, out of respect for me, my daughter and Keith.

“I am disappointed that the Met have made it public that a claim is being brought.

“Once more, I feel disappointed and let down.”

An inquest held in October 2018 concluded that the death of PC Palmer could have been prevented had armed officers been nearby.

 

The inquest also heard how PC Palmer only had “a spray and a baton” to protect himself from the threat posed by Masood.

Masood also murdered four members of the public during the attack.

The inquest heard how the policy of having static armed police on the gate had been changed to having roving patrols around the area instead and that had armed officers been stationed on a static point, then they may have prevented Masood from inflicting fatal injuries upon PC Palmer.

Speaking after the inquest, Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu apologised on behalf of the Metropolitan Police and said the lost chance to save a “brave and courageous officer” was “unacceptable”.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE