The team of investigators from the Major Incident Team has been gathering a range of...

Published: 11:51 pm November 22, 2022
Updated: 11:51 pm November 22, 2022
Police Investigating An Alleged Attack At The Chinese Consulate In Manchester Have Said They Have Identified A Number Of Offences Including Assaults And Public Order Offences In Their Investigation
The team of investigators from the Major Incident Team has been gathering a
range of evidence including CCTV, police body-worn video, mobile phone
footage, and witness statements from as many people involved as possible to
assist in capturing a rounded understanding of what happened.
So far, detectives have identified a number of offences including assaults
and public order offences.
These concern events between 14.00 and 15.00 on Sunday 16 October that left
a man in his 30s with several minor physical injuries after being allegedly
assaulted in the Consulate grounds.
It followed an initially peaceful protest appearing to escalate,.
No other injuries have been reported to other than a minor physical injury
to the hand of o police officer who intervened to help remove the man in
his 30s from the Consulate grounds out of fear for his safety.
However, police are actively seeking – and are hopeful of identifying –
other potential victims of incidents that took place during the disturbance.
No arrests have yet been made and enquiries continue,
Assistant Chief Constable Chris Sykes said: “As we expected from the outset
of this investigation, this is a complex inquiry that’s seeing our
experienced detectives work diligently to ensure all avenues are being
explored and pursued, to bring any identified offenders to justice for
their actions that day.
“We’re continuing to gain a clearer understanding of the timeline of events
that led to an initially peaceful protest escalating in the way it did, and
this has seen us identify a number of offences and potential suspects and
victims.
“This is a sensitive but, importantly, an objective investigation that will
involve us working for as long as required to speak to all those concerned
to achieve as many answers as we possibly can, and we will continue to
provide updates where necessary in due course.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE