Huge Dagenham Tower Fire Sparks Complex Probe
London’s Fire Chief Andy Roe warns the investigation into the massive Dagenham tower block blaze will be “protracted and complex.” The early Monday morning inferno forced over 100 residents to flee and sent two to hospital. Fierce damage means parts of the building remain off-limits to fire investigators due to safety fears.
Fire Chief Flags Serious Building Failures
At the scene, Commissioner Roe labelled the fire a “very significant building failure.” He revealed fire safety officers could be on-site for days, hindered by dangerous structural damage. “Some parts are now unsafe to access, which makes the investigation challenging and lengthy,” he said.
Suspicion Over Cladding Sparks National Outcry
The fire’s origin and rapid spread are still unknown. However, concerns swirl around the building’s “non-compliant” cladding that was being removed, as revealed by a contractor’s Facebook post last week. This reignites national anxiety about cladding safety, a hot-button issue since the deadly 2017 Grenfell Tower disaster that claimed 72 lives.
Deputy PM Angela Rayner admits fire safety upgrades across the UK are “still too slow.” She demands quicker removal of hazardous cladding. Government data shows only half of the 4,600 flagged buildings have started or completed cladding work.
Displaced Residents Get Emergency Help
Barking and Dagenham Council confirms the block is privately owned but assures displaced families are receiving emergency accommodation. Efforts to find longer-term housing solutions are underway. A spokesperson said: “We’ll continue to support residents to secure longer-term accommodation.”
Fire Brigades Union Demands Urgent Action
Matt Wrack, Fire Brigades Union chief, blasted the government for failing to take fire safety seriously years after Grenfell. “People aren’t taking fire safety in residential buildings seriously enough,” Wrack said. “We’ve got a new government – I hope they sit up, take notice, and act fast.”
The Dagenham fire is a grim reminder the UK’s fire safety crisis is far from over. Calls grow louder for swift reforms to stop another tragedy in its tracks.