Fairview House Residents Rushed Out Amid Shocking Care Failings

Vulnerable residents of Fairview House care home in Carisbrooke were hurriedly moved out after damning concerns raised with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Families say their loved ones were shuffled across the Isle of Wight with barely any notice — and no say in where they ended up.

Relatives revealed residents were bundled into minibuses clutching only blankets and bin bags of belongings. Some families only learned of the mass move when they arrived for visits and found their relatives gone.

CQC Exposes Serious Safety Shambles

Rebecca Bauers, head of adult social care inspections at the CQC’s south region, confirmed intrusive inspections happened on November 2, 6 and 30 after worrying reports. She said:

“It is important that the people at Fairview House can rely on getting the high quality care which everyone is entitled to.”

The unannounced inspection in late November uncovered “serious problems” putting residents at risk – including botched medicines administration and filthy conditions. The CQC has since banned Fairview House from taking new residents and issued a potential closure notice, which the care home operators can appeal.

Council Scrambles to Secure New Homes

The Isle of Wight Council confirmed all 22 residents have now been rehoused. Carol Tozer, the council’s director of adult social services, admitted the situation unfolded rapidly. She said:

“During this distressing time in finding alternative care placements, the safety and wellbeing of the frail and elderly residents of Fairview House was our top priority.”

Council staff were deployed onsite to provide round-the-clock support while new care arrangements were secured. NHS teams also stepped in last week to ensure residents’ needs were met as the transfers happened.

Tozer acknowledged the hardship for families, explaining urgent notices were hand-delivered to relatives late on Friday and Saturday to inform them of the upheaval. She promised regular welfare checks on all residents in their new homes in the coming weeks.

Private Operator Oakray Care Under Fire

Fairview House was recently taken over by Oakray Care, but it appears standards plummeted quickly. The CQC’s firm action signals serious failings that put some of the Island’s most vulnerable adults at risk.

With all residents now removed and fresh inspections looming, questions remain over the private firm’s ability to provide safe, effective care.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE