Spain’s Women’s Football Stars Stick to Boycott Despite Squad Call-Up

Spain’s women’s national team players have doubled down on their boycott, refusing to join the squad for the upcoming Nations League fixtures. The protest started after a shocking incident involving former Spanish Football Association (RFEF) chief Luis Rubiales, who infamously kissed forward Jenni Hermoso without consent after last month’s World Cup final.

World Cup Winners Stand Firm – But Hermoso Snubbed

Fifteen of the World Cup-winning squad, including superstar Alexia Putellas, made the latest call-up. Yet, Jenni Hermoso was left out entirely, sparking questions and deepening tensions.

The boycott, originally launched by 81 players upset by the Rubiales scandal and his eventual resignation, is far from over. On Friday, 39 players – including 21 of the 23 World Cup heroes – issued a blunt statement confirming they won’t return until serious changes are made and they feel safe again.

Players Threaten Legal Action Over Forced Call-Ups

The players, speaking through the union Futpro, slammed the decision to list them against their wishes. They warned of potential legal moves against the RFEF for ignoring their clear demands.

“We will study the possible legal consequences to which the RFEF exposes us by putting us on a list from which we had asked not to be called for reasons already explained publicly and in more detail to the RFEF,” the statement said. “With this, we will make the best decision for our future and our health.”

The drama shows no signs of cooling, with the Spanish women’s setup still embroiled in serious turmoil and internal disputes with football authorities.

Men’s Football: Forest Boss Weighs In After Draw

Meanwhile, over in men’s football, nottingham/" title="Nottingham" data-wpil-keyword-link="linked">Nottingham Forest manager Steve Cooper reviewed his side’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Burnley. He highlighted the challenge of integrating new signings like Callum Hudson-Odoi, whose stunning debut equalizer stirred fans’ excitement.

“It’s about finding the right balance and giving ourselves different options in how we play,” Cooper said. Forest currently sit eighth in the Premier League and are keen to build on their squad strength as the season unfolds.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE