Man Jailed for 18 Years After Axe Murder in Portsmouth

A 33-year-old man has been handed an 18-year prison sentence at Winchester Crown Court today (Friday, July 15) following a savage murder in Portsmouth earlier this year.

Brendon Michael Willis, a man with no fixed address, pleaded guilty to killing 27-year-old Christopher Butler. The victim’s body was found at a Southsea home on Waverley Road just after midnight on New Year’s Day, January 1, 2016.

Gruesome Axe Murder Shocks Community

Detective Superintendent Becky Riggs described the killing as “unprovoked” and “brutal,” revealing Willis used an axe to carry out the attack.

“Thankfully, this type of crime is not common,” said Riggs. “It quickly became clear they knew each other. After a wanted appeal went out on January 3, we arrested Willis that very same day.”

Challenging Investigation Leads to Arrest

Willis was charged with murder on January 6. Detective Riggs admitted the investigation was tough due to many witnesses being reluctant to talk. Yet police persistence paid off with Willis pleading guilty at his first court appearance.

“I hope today’s sentence brings some closure for Christopher’s family,” she added.

Community Praised for Support

Riggs also thanked the local community and partner agencies for their cooperation. “Their support helped us maintain safety and solve this crime quickly,” she said.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE