Man Found Dead Above Pizza Shop – Alcohol Toxicity Blamed
An inquest has opened into the tragic death of Christopher Sedgewick, 39, who was found dead at his home above a pizza restaurant on Main Road, Romford earlier this year.
No Foul Play, Police Confirm
Mr Sedgewick was discovered on February 17. The Metropolitan Police launched an investigation, but senior east London coroner Graeme Irvine told the court on April 1 there was “no sinister or criminal activity detected.”
Cause of Death: Acute Alcohol Toxicity
Initial post-mortem results were inconclusive. But police noted numerous empty alcohol bottles near the body. Months later, toxicology tests revealed Mr Sedgewick died from acute alcohol toxicity.
The pathologist also cited alcohol-related fatty liver disease and long-term chronic alcohol misuse as key contributing factors.
“This is an unnatural cause of death,” said Mr Irvine during the brief inquest opening. “Given those circumstances, I will open a full inquest.”
Family Given Key Legal Standing
Mr Sedgewick’s family have been granted legal status as “interested persons,” allowing them access to all evidence and the right to raise questions at the full hearing.
The coroner has asked the family to prepare a detailed biographical statement and highlight any concerns about the circumstances surrounding his death.
Medical Records and Support History Under Scrutiny
Coroner’s officers have been tasked with fetching Mr Sedgewick’s full medical records. They will also check if he had engaged with any alcohol or substance misuse support services.
Full Inquest Set for September
The full inquest hearing is provisionally scheduled for September. The court will investigate if there were steps that could have prevented the death and explore lessons to avoid similar tragedies in future.