Brighton and Hove Heroes Honoured for Keeping City Safe

Brighton and Hove’s bravest and sharpest were celebrated on Monday, June 6, at Hove’s 1st Central Cricket Ground. The city’s Mayor, Councillor Lizzie Deane, and the High Sheriff of East Sussex, Jane King, joined the police command team to hand out dozens of awards to officers, staff, and volunteers for their outstanding work protecting the city.

Top Cop Bags Triple Awards for Major Crime Busts

Detective Inspector Simon Morgan stole the show with three awards — the most of the day. As Senior Investigating Officer, he led Operation Pavilion, cracking a chilling case where a man was dragged from his home and threatened. The investigation ended with two suspects charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, and aggravated burglary.

He also spearheaded Operation Halifax, targeting the spike in dangerous needle stick attacks that plagued Brighton’s nightlife. Thanks to hours of CCTV sifting and relentless detective work, the team made two arrests and helped implement new safety measures in clubs and bars across the city.

Finally, D/Insp Morgan’s leadership during Operation Overstone brought justice in a brutal acid attack case, sending the culprit down for 15 years.

“All of the teams involved have shown incredible dedication and teamwork tackling complex crimes under tough conditions,” said D/Insp Morgan.

Officers Praised for Protecting the Vulnerable

  • PCs John Mongan and Jordan Goddard earned commendations for their quick thinking during a domestic abuse case. When the suspect returned armed with a knife, PC Mongan used a Taser to make a safe arrest, protecting a vulnerable victim from harm.
  • PCSO Sophie Hughes received praise for her sensitive handling of a criminal damage spree. She tirelessly reviewed CCTV footage and supported the victims through a difficult ordeal.

Licensing Team Tightens Nightlife Security

The Licensing Team, led by Inspector Michelle Palmer-Harris, was honoured for its crucial role in stamping out needle sticking and drink spiking. Working hand-in-hand with Brighton and Hove’s licensed venues, they introduced new safeguarding and security protocols that have drastically improved safety on nights out.

Kate Hancox from the Licensing Team said:

“The challenges of last year have sparked real change. Taxi marshals, enhanced security, on-site medics, safe spaces, and staff training have all made Brighton and Hove a much safer place to enjoy a night out.”

Commander’s Tribute to Unsung Heroes

Brighton and Hove Divisional Commander Justin Burtenshaw paid heartfelt tribute to every nominee and the countless unseen heroes behind the scenes.

“It’s my privilege to celebrate the courage, dedication, and incredible work of our officers, staff, and volunteers. These awards showcase just a glimpse of the tireless effort to keep our city safe every single day.”

From tackling violent crime to protecting the vulnerable and improving nightlife safety, Brighton and Hove’s police force is working round the clock — and city residents owe them a huge thanks.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :CrimePolice

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE