Child Abduction Fears Spark Police Alert Across Bromley
Parents in Bromley have been left shaken after four separate reports of suspicious incidents involving children surfaced last week. While no children were harmed or taken, the unsettling events have forced police into action.
Two Kids Approached in Whitmore Road and Kelsey Park
On Friday, 30 April, between 4pm and 4.30pm, an 11-year-old boy was targeted by a man in a black van on Whitmore Road offering a lift. Meanwhile, an 8-year-old boy was reportedly approached in the wooded area of nearby Kelsey Park. Both boys managed to evade any harm.
Separate Incidents Raise Alarm—But Not Linked
The following week, a male pupil told school staff that a man had followed him on the street the previous day. However, police say this doesn’t appear connected to the earlier reports.
Then on Friday, 7 May, a terrifying near-abduction was reported in The Glades shopping centre, Bromley. Witnesses saw two men trailing a toddler. One allegedly reached out to grab the child’s raised hand before quickly walking off. Thankfully, no abduction took place and the toddler was unharmed.
Police Response: Stay Alert but Stay Calm
Superintendent Andy Brittain, Met’s South Area Command, said: “We take all such reports seriously and investigate thoroughly. I understand the concerns of parents and urge the public to remain vigilant but not alarmed. Child abductions are thankfully incredibly rare, but we are not complacent.”
Brittain revealed police have stepped up patrols in areas where children gather and encouraged anyone worried or with information to speak to officers.
“If there was a specific threat, we would make the community aware immediately,” he added. “Please report anything suspicious by calling 101, tweeting @MetCC, or in an emergency dial 999.”
For anonymous tips, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.