Boris Clears the Air on Cummings Controversy
Boris Johnson has finally tackled the burning question on everyone’s lips: Is the Government asking the public to follow rules it doesn’t stick to itself? After days of uproar over Dominic Cummings’ lockdown trip, the PM has spoken.
Johnson revealed he held extensive face-to-face talks with Cummings. He concluded that the aide’s journey to secure childcare, when he and his wife were on the brink of being incapacitated by COVID-19, was understandable. “He followed the instincts of every father and every parent,” Boris said, refusing to condemn his top aide.
Despite numerous accusations about Cummings’ behaviour during self-isolation — many outright false, according to the PM — Boris insists Cummings acted responsibly, legally, and with integrity to help stop the virus and save lives.
Coronavirus Update: Numbers Show Progress but Caution Needed
- 3,458,905 COVID-19 tests completed in the UK, including 110,401 yesterday
- 259,559 positive cases, up by 2,409 from the previous day — a slower rise than recent weeks
- 8,951 people currently hospitalised with coronavirus, down 11% from last week
- Sadly, 36,793 deaths recorded so far, with 118 new fatalities since yesterday
Boris paid tribute to every family mourning a loss. “We mourn them and renew our vow to beat this virus and get Britain back on its feet,” he said.
Schools Set to Reopen — But Carefully
Two weeks after unveiling the Government’s lockdown roadmap, Boris confirmed the plan remains on track. Step 2 — starting on June 1 — will see a phased reopening of early years and primary schools (Reception, Year 1, Year 6).
From June 15, secondary schools will provide limited contact for Years 10 and 12 to help exam preparation, with no more than 25% of these students attending at once.
This cautious approach follows consultations with schools, unions, and the Education Secretary Gavin Williamson.
“We thank all education and childcare staff for keeping schools open during this crisis,” Boris added.
Final approval hinges on Thursday’s formal lockdown review, but the Government wants parents and teachers to plan for reopening next week.
Acknowledging not all schools may open on June 1, Boris promised continued support to ensure wider reopening happens as quickly as possible.
Safety First: How Schools Will Protect Pupils and Staff
The Department for Education has issued new safety guidelines to minimise infection risks:
- Smaller class sizes keeping children in consistent groups
- Staggered breaks, lunches, and drop-offs to avoid crowding
- Increased cleaning and reduced shared resources
- More use of outdoor space where possible
- Testing available for any child, staff member, or family with symptoms
Negative tests will let children return; positives will trigger swift action.
The Government will give details soon on other Step 2 moves, like non-essential shops reopening and loosening social contact limits.
Stay Vigilant If We Want to Beat COVID-19
Boris hailed Britain’s progress but warned it’s fragile. We must keep pushing the coronavirus reproduction number (R) below 1 by sticking to the basics:
- Wash hands regularly
- Maintain social distancing
- Self-isolate if symptoms appear
- Get tested immediately
“We are beating this thing,” Boris said. “But to beat it faster, we need to stay alert, control the virus, and save lives.”