Bexhill Town Hall Meeting Axed Over Protest Fears
Hundreds of Bexhill-on-Sea residents gathered outside the Town Hall, furious after the council scrapped the April full council meeting set for Wednesday, April 5. The meeting was cancelled amid fears large crowds would confront councillors both inside and out.
Safety Concerns Behind Cancellation
The meeting wasn’t even about the controversial Northeye asylum seeker proposals, but the council cited safety concerns for councillors, staff, and the public. They claim the Town Hall’s limited capacity makes it unsuitable for such a tense meeting.
“We regret cancelling the meeting but must prioritise everyone’s safety,” the council said. An alternative public meeting focusing solely on the Northeye plans will be arranged soon at a larger venue, with details to follow.
Residents Angry as Nortoney Asylum Plan Shocks Bexhill
The Home Office shocked locals by choosing Northeye to house 1 asylum seekers. The council was only informed last week, prompting deep concern and anger among residents demanding answers.
Both 1 District Council and East Sussex County Council are now assessing how the plan might impact the community. The Town Council promises to act as the voice of residents in talks with the authorities.
Plan Still Not Set in Stone
The Northeye proposal isn’t final. Legal issues remain, and the Home Office must complete site and toxicology tests before moving forward.
Residents Urged to Speak Up
The council is calling on locals to email Huw Merriman MP with ideas or concerns. “Mr Merriman is meeting the Home Office and will push our issues forward,” the council said.
Residents can also visit the Town Council Hub on Western Road, contact their local councillor by email, or follow the council’s website and social media for updates.