Mother-of-Two Dies in Brixton O2 Crowd Crush at Asake Concert

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, tragically died after thousands stormed a Nigerian star Asake’s sold-out concert at Brixton O2 Academy on December 15. An estimated 3,000 people squeezed into the venue, many without tickets, causing chaos and a deadly crowd crush.

Three Still Critical After Horror Night

Rebecca wasn’t the only victim. Eight people were rushed to hospital. Two women, aged 21 and 23, remain in critical condition. Police are urgently investigating the incident, reviewing disturbing footage from social media and officers’ body cams.

So far, one woman has been arrested for assaulting a police officer. The Independent Office for Police Conduct is probing allegations that an officer pushed a member of the public, though the Met insists there is “no evidence of misconduct.”

Rebecca’s Final Video Before Tragedy

Just one day before the fatal crush, Rebecca posted a heartfelt YouTube video titled MY KIDS BEDTIME ROUTINE | AUTISM AWARENESS. It shows the devoted mother, dressed in matching festive pyjamas with her family, describing how she puts her boys to bed. Three days earlier, she had taken her children to see Santa Claus.

Heartfelt Tributes Pour In

Nigerian singer Asake expressed his heartbreak after cutting the show short. “I am devastated by the news that Rebecca Ikumelo has sadly passed away,” he told fans. “My heartfelt condolences go out to her family at this difficult time.”

“She was a stunning woman who exuded positivity,” said author Toni Tone. “Rebecca was committed to being the best for her children and raising awareness of autism. My thoughts are with her family.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan mourned Rebecca’s death outside the venue: “I am heartbroken by the tragic death of Rebecca Ikumelo. Rebecca had her whole life ahead of her. My condolences go out to her family on behalf of all Londoners.”

Police Appeal for Witnesses

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, overseeing the case, urged witnesses to come forward: “There were around 4,000 people present. We need all available footage and information to piece together exactly what happened.”

An online portal has been set up for submitting photos and videos from the night. Police continue to maintain cordons and probe the crushing chaos that shocked Brixton.

Concert and Venue Respond to Tragedy

Asake, recently nominated for BBC Radio 1’s Sound of 2023, had warned fans not to attend without tickets. The night was the final of three sold-out shows at the 4,921-capacity venue.

Academy Music Group, which owns the venue, issued a statement: “We are deeply saddened by Rebecca Ikumelo’s death. Our thoughts are with her family, friends, and everyone affected by this heartbreaking tragedy.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 101, quoting reference 6725/15Dec.

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :Police

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE