Seven Men Jailed for Over 92 Years in Chilling Human Trafficking Tragedy
Seven men have been handed a combined sentence exceeding 92 years following the shocking deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in October 2019. The group was sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday 22 January, bringing justice to one of Essex Police’s darkest investigations.
Gruesome Discovery and Heartbreaking Impact
On 23 October 2019, emergency services were called after lorry driver Maurice Robinson found 39 Vietnamese nationals locked in a trailer at Tilbury Port. None were breathing. The victims, including two just 15 years old, had been smuggled illegally into the UK under false promises of safety.
“Every person in that trailer had left behind a family. They had been promised safe passage and were left to die, all because of the greed of the men sentenced today,” said Essex Police Chief Constable Ben-Julian Harrington.
“This was the biggest investigation in Essex Police’s history, requiring public courage and international cooperation to bring those responsible to justice.”
Leaders of the Smuggling Gang Face Harsh Sentences
- Ronan Hughes, 41, the ringleader, fled to Ireland but was extradited and sentenced to 20 years.
- Gheorghe Nica, 44, co-conspirator, jailed for 27 years.
- Maurice Robinson, 26, the lorry driver who discovered the victims, pleaded guilty to 39 counts of manslaughter and got 13 years and 4 months.
- Eamonn Harrison, 24, another driver who locked migrants in airtight trailers, sentenced to 18 years.
- Christopher Kennedy, 24, involved in earlier transports, received 7 years.
- Valentin Calota, 38, helped move migrants in London, sentenced to 4.5 years.
- Alexandru Hanga, 28, pleaded guilty and got 3 years.
- Gazmir Nuzi, 43, pleaded guilty to assisting unlawful immigration, sentenced to 10 months (already served).
Officials Pledge to Stop Ruthless People Smugglers
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Daniel Stoten said: “These criminals treated human lives worse than cargo. We will keep hunting those who exploit migrants.”
Home Secretary Priti Patel added: “The pain endured by the families is unbearable. The inhumanity of these smugglers is rightly reflected in these sentences.”
Deputy Director of the National Crime Agency, Matthew Long, warned: “Other criminal networks still threaten vulnerable migrants, but we will use every tool to dismantle them.”
Essex Police, alongside national and international partners, are committed to ending these brutal human trafficking rings.
Community Mourns, Justice Delivered
Roger Hirst, Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, and Thurrock Council leader Cllr Rob Gledhill expressed deep condolences to the victims’ families and praised emergency workers who faced the horrifying scene.
The haunting case serves as a reminder of the tragic cost of greed and the ongoing fight against organised immigration crime. Essex Police vow to keep families’ trust by relentlessly pursuing those who exploit vulnerable people.