Archie’s Life Support to be Switched Off Despite Family’s Pleas

The heartbreaking battle to save 12-year-old Archie from life support is set to end Thursday at 11 a.m. The family had begged the European Court of Human Rights to delay the heartbreaking decision, but their plea was rejected. The court refused to overturn previous rulings by UK national courts.

Tragic Circumstances Surrounding Archie’s Condition

Archie was found unconscious at his Southend-on-Sea home on April 7. His mother believes he was taking part in a dangerous online challenge at the time. Since then, he’s been treated at the Royal London Hospital, under the Barts NHS Health Trust.

Doctors insist Archie is “highly likely” brain-stem dead with no hope of recovery. A High Court judge ruled continuing treatment “futile.” The hospital said no changes in care would happen while legal issues dragged on.

Family’s Fight to Seek Treatment Abroad

“There are other countries that want to take Archie and treat him,” said his mother, Hollie Dance. “Other countries are very supportive and want him to be treated. They have a high success rate, and I don’t see the harm. If they can offer even a glimmer of hope…”

Hollie asked why Archie must die in the UK when overseas options exist. “Why is it so black and white? He has to die in this country because this country will no longer treat him? Other countries want to treat him, and I believe he should be allowed to go.”

When pressed on locations, she mentioned Tokyo and Italy as possible places for treatment.

Family-Hospital Relations Strained as Hope Fades

Archie’s family previously requested that if life support ends, he should be moved to a hospice. Hollie said she’d prefer him to be in a peaceful environment surrounded by “squirrels and wildlife running around,” but only as a “worst case scenario.”

Doctors have ruled that transferring Archie isn’t feasible due to his complicated condition.

Despite the fierce family-hospital tensions, Hollie praised the nurses caring for her son. However, she admitted relations with the hospital have “completely broken down.”

We are your go-to destination for breaking UK news, real-life stories from communities across the country, striking images, and must-see video from the heart of the action.

Follow us on Facebook at for the latest updates and developing stories, and stay connected on X (Twitter) the for live coverage as news breaks across the UK.

Topics :Courts

SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE DAILY BREAKING NEWS AND PICTURES NEWSLETTER

Your information will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

YOU MIGHT LIKE