Prison Blunder Releases Convicted Sex Offender, Sparks London Manhunt
Chaos at HMP Chelmsford after staff mistakenly freed convicted illegal migrant sex offender Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu – then pointed him towards the railway station. The shocking error has triggered a massive police hunt across London as authorities scramble to find the fugitive.
How Chelmsford Prison’s Epic Fail Unfolded
Kebatu, 38, was jailed for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl soon after arriving in the UK by boat. He was due for transfer to an immigration removal centre before deportation. Instead, prison staff accidentally released him on Friday morning.
A delivery driver at the prison, known only as Sim, told Sky News Kebatu looked “confused” and hung around outside for 90 minutes. Prison officers then sent him to Chelmsford Railway Station, effectively directing him out of custody.
“He kept asking officers, ‘Where am I going? What am I doing? I don’t know where I’m going and what I’m doing,’” said Sim. “He was holding a pack of paperwork and a bag.”
Kebatu even pleaded with Sim: “I need you to help me.” His repeated trips to prison reception for clarity left him visibly upset and stressed.
Eventually, staff told him to catch a train to London. Kebatu was later seen on Chelmsford High Street with a prison-issue bag before boarding the 12:41pm train to London.
Police Hunt Intensifies as Kebatu Vanishes into London
The train stopped at Shenfield and Stratford, with Kebatu disembarking at Stratford – one of the UK’s busiest transport hubs. Police weren’t alerted until 12:57pm, 16 minutes after Kebatu was already aboard.
Met Police took over the investigation Saturday morning, with Commander James Conway calling the search a “top priority.” Specialist Crime Command teams are using every resource available.
Officers urged the public to call 999 if they spot Kebatu. No details on his appearance or clothes have been released, leaving London on high alert as the fugitive could disappear via the underground network.
Public Outrage and Political Fury
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer slammed the error as “totally unacceptable,” demanding Kebatu’s swift capture and deportation. Justice Secretary David Lammy said he was “livid” and ordered a full inquiry.
Kebatu was wrongly classified as a prisoner released on licence and even pocketed a £76 discharge grant. He was jailed for 12 months in September after being found guilty of multiple sexual offences against children and women.
District Judge Christopher Williams called Kebatu’s crimes “disgusting and sickening,” warning of the widespread public fear caused.
Chelmsford Lib Dem MP Marie Goldman demanded a public inquiry, blasting the prison’s failings and calling for accountability. Unions condemned the blunder as a “profound failure of duty,” insisting urgent reforms are needed to stop future disasters.
Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp labelled the mistake “staggering incompetence,” calling for apologies from Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood and Justice Secretary Lammy. Reform UK’s Nigel Farage and Tory MPs joined the chorus, insisting Britain’s system is “broken” and collapsing under Labour.
National Prison Crisis Exposed
This Chelmsford cock-up exposes a wider UK prison crisis. Government figures show prisoner releases in error more than doubled last year to a record 262 cases, shaking public confidence.
A Prison Service spokesman said: “We are urgently working with police to return an offender to custody following a release in error at HMP Chelmsford. Public protection is our top priority, and we have launched an investigation into this incident.”
The incident has reignited fierce debate over immigration, prison management, and public safety – with concerns mounting over migrants housed in hotels and the government’s struggle to enforce deportations fast enough.
As the nationwide manhunt continues, eyes remain on London to see if police can catch Kebatu and restore calm to a rattled public.