Deadly Air Raid Slaughters 29 at Myanmar IDP Camp
A brutal night raid has left at least 29 people dead, including children, at a camp for internally displaced people near Laiza in northern Myanmar. The attack struck late Monday, shattering fragile lives already caught in a deadly civil war.
Camp Targeted Near Kachin Army Base
The camp, just kilometres from the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) headquarters, was caught in the relentless crossfire between the KIA and Myanmar’s military junta. Local activist Khon Ja confirmed to Reuters that 29 bodies were brought to the hospital, while 59 others suffered injuries.
A Kachin Human Rights Watch source, only named Jacob for safety, told The Associated Press the toll includes 13 children killed and about 60 wounded. “We counted 19 adults and 13 children dead,” he revealed.
Drone Strike Suspected as Rescue Efforts Continue
The horrific air raid, reportedly around 11 pm, saw rescue workers scramble in near darkness among bamboo wreckage to recover the dead and wounded. Colonel Naw Bu of the KIA suspects a drone strike, as no aircraft sounds were heard during the attack.
“We are investigating the nature of this strike,” Naw Bu told AFP, raising fears over new deadly military tactics targeting civilians.
National Unity Government Brands Attack a War Crime
Aung Myo Min, human rights minister of Myanmar’s parallel National Unity Government (NUG), slammed the raid on social media as a “war crime.” He confirmed at least 56 injured, condemning the ongoing violence since last year’s military coup.
Since the coup in February 2021, Myanmar has been engulfed in chaos. The military’s brutal crackdown, including air raids and arson, has forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, turning the country into a humanitarian nightmare.